I want to thank everyone who responded to my search for Alfier and Paulazo. Your knowledge of provinces and name spellings were invaluable. Also, it did not occur to me to check different spellings for Paulazzo. Thanks. I have what I need now to put the record straight. The Paulazzos were the original owners of the bakery- they built it themselves. The Alfiers were the next owners. V. Alfier is actually Vittorio. And Giovanni was not a stupid Italian who got drunk and burned down the town- he was murdered in an arson fire for not paying for protection. I think it will upset certain members of the town, but this centennial of the bakery, I would like the people who built it represented fairly. Folklore is fun sometimes, but the people who came to Weed in steerage class and built the town were a bit more than folklore. Thanks so much for your assistance.
Also, I found Giovanni's grave. He had his funeral Mass all those years ago- now he can have his headstone back.
Mary
Thank you all
Re: Thank you all
I think that's wonderful! I am glad you found his grave. What do you mean he can have his headstone back?rosecarm wrote:
Also, I found Giovanni's grave. He had his funeral Mass all those years ago- now he can have his headstone back.
Mary
mfjp
Re: Thank you all
Giovanni died in 1917. At that time, the only cemetary was 15 miles away by stagecoach. the cemetary was uncared for until about five years ago. We have many missing graves and headstones here.mfjp wrote:I think that's wonderful! I am glad you found his grave. What do you mean he can have his headstone back?rosecarm wrote:
Also, I found Giovanni's grave. He had his funeral Mass all those years ago- now he can have his headstone back.
Mary
mfjp
Mary
Re: Thank you all
Hi Mary in California... where it's probably not snowing like heck....
What are you going to do with the research info you have collected? Are you going to publish this in some way for the Bakery's anniversary?? going on memory here....
Glad that you are also setting the record straight... and if Giovanni's spirit is watching all this... I am sure he would be proud...
You take care, and Seasons' Greetings!
Maria
What are you going to do with the research info you have collected? Are you going to publish this in some way for the Bakery's anniversary?? going on memory here....
Glad that you are also setting the record straight... and if Giovanni's spirit is watching all this... I am sure he would be proud...
You take care, and Seasons' Greetings!
Maria
- DonnaPellegrin
- Veteran

- Posts: 201
- Joined: 16 May 2004, 00:00
- Contact:
Re: Thank you all
Yes, and thank you rosecarm for caring enough to find the truth and doing such a great job.
Donna Pellegrin
Re: Thank you all
This info has already started going up on the bakery's history wall in the retail store and will be published in booklet form later. The town's people, some of whom are old enough to remember many of these people are thrilled to come and read the names and dates on the wall.mfjp wrote:Hi Mary in California... where it's probably not snowing like heck....
What are you going to do with the research info you have collected? Are you going to publish this in some way for the Bakery's anniversary?? going on memory here....
Glad that you are also setting the record straight... and if Giovanni's spirit is watching all this... I am sure he would be proud...
You take care, and Seasons' Greetings!
Maria
As far as snow? Mt. Shasta? Surely you jest. Actually right now it is 18 degrees but no snow since Thanksgiving. Will be here by Christmas I'm sure.
Have an excellent holiday and keep up the good work.
Mary

