The meaning and souce of Surname Iaciofano
-
judydennisi
- Newbie

- Posts: 20
- Joined: 15 Jan 2015, 20:05
Re: The meaning and souce of Surname Iaciofano
Anizio please review attached letter in Italian vrs intended letter in English. Is the Italian translation OK? Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Re: The meaning and souce of Surname Iaciofano
Sure I'll take a look later tonight, but the first line is already wrong. You never say "il mio nome," you say "mi chiamo" (I am called).
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
Re: The meaning and souce of Surname Iaciofano
Before I correct the email, I need to clarify your intent. Are you asking them for permission for you to go there and access the records, or to be allowed to send someone on your behalf, or to have them have someone search for you.
But so far it should read....
"Signora Rachele Aceto,
Mi chiamo Dennis Iacofano. Cerco per l'origine e il significato del mio cognome "Iaciofano". I miei antenati sono da Busso, parrocchia di San Lorenzo Martire. Gli atti di stato civile sono disponibili solo dopo l'anno 1806. Avete l'Arcidiocesi di Campobasso-Bojano i registri parrocchiali di San Lorenzo Martire, prima 1806? In caso affermativo, quali anni sono disponibili? Prima del 1700?"
I will correct the second paragraph once you clarify. After you introduce yourself you should say where you are from, or else they will assume you are from Italy and will be even less patient with your Italian.
But so far it should read....
"Signora Rachele Aceto,
Mi chiamo Dennis Iacofano. Cerco per l'origine e il significato del mio cognome "Iaciofano". I miei antenati sono da Busso, parrocchia di San Lorenzo Martire. Gli atti di stato civile sono disponibili solo dopo l'anno 1806. Avete l'Arcidiocesi di Campobasso-Bojano i registri parrocchiali di San Lorenzo Martire, prima 1806? In caso affermativo, quali anni sono disponibili? Prima del 1700?"
I will correct the second paragraph once you clarify. After you introduce yourself you should say where you are from, or else they will assume you are from Italy and will be even less patient with your Italian.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
-
judydennisi
- Newbie

- Posts: 20
- Joined: 15 Jan 2015, 20:05
Re: The meaning and souce of Surname Iaciofano
I would want them to assign someone they are familiar with to search the records. This would be my preference. However if they would not want to be involved I would ask for their permission for me to find someone else in the area to search for me.
Re: The meaning and souce of Surname Iaciofano
Second paragraph:
Se registri parrocchiali sono disponibili prima del 1700, vorrei ottenere fotocopie dei battesimi, matrimoni, e le registrazioni di sepoltura o di morte che si riferiscono ai Iaciofano. Se non avete qualcuno per trovare i documenti per me, chiedo il permesso di mandare qualcuno a mio nome. Sono felice di donare alla parrocchia di San Lorenzo Martire in memoria della famiglia Iaciofano ei miei antenati. Sono anche disposto a fornire eventuali compensazioni per le copie dei documenti o il tempo trascorso trovare loro.
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura.
Distini saluti,
Dennis Iacofano
Se registri parrocchiali sono disponibili prima del 1700, vorrei ottenere fotocopie dei battesimi, matrimoni, e le registrazioni di sepoltura o di morte che si riferiscono ai Iaciofano. Se non avete qualcuno per trovare i documenti per me, chiedo il permesso di mandare qualcuno a mio nome. Sono felice di donare alla parrocchia di San Lorenzo Martire in memoria della famiglia Iaciofano ei miei antenati. Sono anche disposto a fornire eventuali compensazioni per le copie dei documenti o il tempo trascorso trovare loro.
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura.
Distini saluti,
Dennis Iacofano
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
-
judydennisi
- Newbie

- Posts: 20
- Joined: 15 Jan 2015, 20:05
Re: The meaning and souce of Surname Iaciofano
Thank You, Anizio. Since I already sent the improper Italian letter, should I preface the proper letter with an apology? Dennis
Re: The meaning and souce of Surname Iaciofano
No idea. Take this as a lesson not to use online translators. If anything I'd send the new letter by mail, better chance they'll read it that way all things considered.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
-
judydennisi
- Newbie

- Posts: 20
- Joined: 15 Jan 2015, 20:05
Re: The meaning and souce of Surname Iaciofano
I have done as you suggested and sent the mail by post. John Armellino suggested i contact Suanj for help and she informed me that there has been a violation of trust with the Archdiocese and they will not allow access to their records unless the reason is for dual citizenship. She does not think I will receive a reply from the Archdiocese. She instead suggested that I should search the www.san.beniculturali.it website for Church certificates for Matrimoni and Morti to find father/grandfather/greatgrandfather pedegrees. That would limit me to 1806 as the earliest date to search.
Re: The meaning and souce of Surname Iaciofano
You definitely need access to parish records to establish a line, but if you are sure they originate from Busso in the long run there are alternatives: cadastres (catasti), notary records, censuses. No guarantee what will be available or in what year, but those will either be held by the town, the State Archives, or perhaps protected by some other state cultural institution.
There is always a way. The only problem with this way is there is no way to ensure a proper generation-by generation line, but for the purposes of figuring out the name origin of the Iaciofano's from Busso these ways could help you at least trace the name, it would just likely skip generations and people.
Trace your line to 1806 for sure (the antenati site can be used to trace into the early 1700s if you are lucky and marriage allegati contain useful records) to ensure it is actually from Busso. After that there are the alternatives I suggested.
Plus you could get lucky, by building your line to 1806 and posting it on a website you could be contacted by a relative with a more complete tree. Just today I was contacted by someone I am related to only by a connection around 1700, and he has a family tree that includes hundreds of people that was made in 1811. You never know
There is always a way. The only problem with this way is there is no way to ensure a proper generation-by generation line, but for the purposes of figuring out the name origin of the Iaciofano's from Busso these ways could help you at least trace the name, it would just likely skip generations and people.
Trace your line to 1806 for sure (the antenati site can be used to trace into the early 1700s if you are lucky and marriage allegati contain useful records) to ensure it is actually from Busso. After that there are the alternatives I suggested.
Plus you could get lucky, by building your line to 1806 and posting it on a website you could be contacted by a relative with a more complete tree. Just today I was contacted by someone I am related to only by a connection around 1700, and he has a family tree that includes hundreds of people that was made in 1811. You never know
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
-
judydennisi
- Newbie

- Posts: 20
- Joined: 15 Jan 2015, 20:05
Re: The meaning and souce of Surname Iaciofano
How can I find census records from Busso? I have found many records in the US searching Census Records. Will they reply online, by post w/self addressed envelope, or by visit from a surrogate? Dennis
-
judydennisi
- Newbie

- Posts: 20
- Joined: 15 Jan 2015, 20:05
Re: The meaning and souce of Surname Iaciofano
How can I find census records from Busso? I have found many records in the US searching Census Records. Will they reply online, by post w/self addressed envelope, or by visit from a surrogate? Dennis
