Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
I have been trying for some time now to find birth records of my paternal gt x 3 grandfather who was born in Naples in 1819. His name is Francesco CREDIDIO. The first record I can find of him is when he moved to Corsica and married.
I would be grateful for someone to contact in Naples who may be able to help, or if anyone here could...?!
Hi
I'm terrible with technology! Would a birth certificate for one of his sons (my gt gt grandfather) be ok? It was obtained from the records office in Bastia, Corsica...?
Napoli is a big area with many towns in it both in the city of Napoli and the province of Napoli just trying to narrow the area down
Was his wife from Italy?
Hi, No his wife was from Corsica. I'm almost certain he was born in 1819, definitely in Naples. It has been mentioned that he may have been a foundling and the name CREDIDIO is a foundling name, so I may have difficulty in tracing his line any further back.
The only other piece of info I know is that he was a fisherman, so I wondered whether this was a family business and, therefore, may narrow down the areas in Naples to concentrate on...?
I found many Credidio ( also spelled Crededio) in Calabria, Cosenza province especially... in Naples archive, in some database, I found just some Credidio (really a few) but coming from Calabria....
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website: ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Thank you all. I will try accessing the records from these areas, suanj
Livio if it is a foundling name do you know of any institutions in Naples which may still have records which are accessible for someone in the UK? Thanks.
SarahW wrote:Thank you all. I will try accessing the records from these areas, suanj
Livio if it is a foundling name do you know of any institutions in Naples which may still have records which are accessible for someone in the UK? Thanks.
Sabino, my apologies - I don't speak Italian and have used a translator to translate your post, above. It seems to finish translating half-way through a sentence, but am I right in understanding that Francesco Credidio was born in Scalea (Cosenza, Calabria), and that he was shown in records in 1842 as 25 years old? Is it possible for me to access these records to do further research? Thanks again Sabino
Key facts in the marriage act posted by Sabino:
1842 May 30 - Bastia
Groom:
Francesco Credidio, a tinsmith, living in Bastia since 3 years, born in 1817 in Scalea, Regno delle due Sicilie (now Italy), son of deceased Giuseppe and deceased Laura Vutizia (sp?)
Bride:
Marie Catherine Vocari, household, born in Venzolasca (30km south of Bastia) on May 27 1819, daughter of deceasd Felix Vocari and living Marie Cecile Vincentini.
So glad that i seen your post i have started my family tree and i'am also related Francesco's son philipe was my ancestor he lived in Liverpool he was a sailor working on the river mersey on a boat he owned which was called a flat boat he worked for a very prominent wealthy family in liverpool called the Rathbone family he was married with many children he lived in an area called Toxteth park in Liverpool after he moved from corsica to firstly Manchester then on to Liverpool.On birth certificates that i have seen he was a fisherman.