Hello. I have the birth act for my great-grantfather Saverio Calabretta here:
http://nopants.org/family/Saverio_Calab ... th_act.jpg
I have figured out that his father was Raffaele, and his mother was Marianna Anania, and that Marianna's father was Giuliono. But I cannot make out her mother's name on the next line. It looks something like Gilatrica, but I'm not sure. Is this an Italian name, or am I reading it wrong?
Help with name on birth act.
Re: Help with name on birth act.
Nice dream, I will give my opinion, but please don`t take it as "fact". It looks to me like it says Filatrice or Filatrina Giuliano his legitimate wife. There are others on here who have more experience than myself, and may have a different opinion
Re: Help with name on birth act.
The next line is not her mother's name.
Reads:
Filatrice. This is an occupation = Spinner or Seamstress
Reads:
Filatrice. This is an occupation = Spinner or Seamstress
Re: Help with name on birth act.
Va Deb, i didn`t say it was a mothers name, but merely said it 'looks like" However, there have been many Italians whose name (either first or last) was derived from Occupations. Secondly, that name could also be Giuliana Felitrice or Giuliana Felitrina his legitmate wife.
If that is not a name, than why would "his legitmate wife" follow it?
Again, I did imply that I could be wrong, but that next line does say his legitimate wife, so what precedes it, has to be a name
If that is not a name, than why would "his legitmate wife" follow it?
Again, I did imply that I could be wrong, but that next line does say his legitimate wife, so what precedes it, has to be a name
Re: Help with name on birth act.
Italy,
Sorry, but your reply was not there when I posted. I guess I thought to long on how to word my answer.
I base my answer on experience of reading many of these acts. It is a common phrase. Usually it is worded da (then name of mother of baby). Names are often noted as Debbie fu John or Debbie di John. This simply means Debbie, her father is John and fu = father is deceased or di= father is living.
I read the following:
da Anania Marianna fu Giuliono
Filatrice, sua moglie legittima
Sorry, but your reply was not there when I posted. I guess I thought to long on how to word my answer.
I base my answer on experience of reading many of these acts. It is a common phrase. Usually it is worded da (then name of mother of baby). Names are often noted as Debbie fu John or Debbie di John. This simply means Debbie, her father is John and fu = father is deceased or di= father is living.
I read the following:
da Anania Marianna fu Giuliono
Filatrice, sua moglie legittima
Re: Help with name on birth act.
Hi There,nicedream wrote:Hello. I have the birth act for my great-grantfather Saverio Calabretta here:
http://nopants.org/family/Saverio_Calab ... th_act.jpg
I have figured out that his father was Raffaele, and his mother was Marianna Anania, and that Marianna's father was Giuliono. But I cannot make out her mother's name on the next line. It looks something like Gilatrica, but I'm not sure. Is this an Italian name, or am I reading it wrong?
Here is the translation for the document you attached. I would have been more than happy to translate the document for you when I sent you the original Birth Act via email.
Also, they usually don't list the mother's name. the word is filatrice which is a seamstress just like VaDeb stated to you.
I guess you forgot that I have family from Isca too. Plus, I've done research for several people whose ancestors are from the town.
I hope this helps,
Trish
[align=center]Number 13
Calabretta Saverio
of Raffaele
Act of Birth [/align]
In the year one thousand eight hundred ninety-six, of the day seventeen, of February, at the hour nine and minute twenty, in the Town Hall.
Before me Achille Fera, Delegated Secretary of the Mayor by the duly approved act of six April one thousand eight hundred eighty-five, and the Official of Vital Records of the town of Isca.
And appeared Calabretta Raffaele, of age twenty-five, shoemaker, residing in Isca, who has informed at the hour of six ante-meridian and minute thirty, of the day thirteen of the current month, in the house on Via Vaglio at number _____, and of Anania Marianna of the late Giuliano, seamstress, his legitimate wife who live together (cohabit)
And born a baby of sex male which he has presented and given the name of
[align=center]
Saverio[/align]
To this action which witnesses have been present, Scicchitano Vito of the late Policarpo, of age fifty-four, land owner, and of Anaja Antonio of Bruno, of age twenty-six, land owner, both residing in this Town. We therefore have formed the present act, which has been written and signed by the witnesses, but not by the informant for he does not know how to write.
Vito Scicchitano - witness
Antonio Anoja
Achille Fera - Secretary
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum

