History of Santa Maria Capua Vetere Caserta
- MarieVolbeda
- Newbie

- Posts: 24
- Joined: 01 Aug 2009, 04:41
History of Santa Maria Capua Vetere Caserta
Where can I find a comprehensive history of Santa Maria Capua Vetere and surrounding cities.(Without going there) Wikipedia has some info but I am really looking specifically for the tiny hamlets of Santa Maria la Fossa, Grazzanise, Casagiove/Casanova. Suggestions please?
- rjmichaels
- Rookie

- Posts: 90
- Joined: 22 Jan 2010, 07:40
Re: History of Santa Maria Capua Vetere Caserta
I have family from SMCV but have been unable to find much. I know that until ~1861 it was known as Santa Maria Maggiore. I also know that there used to be another town, San Pietro Incorpo, that was absorbed into SMCV. I believe that this happened around 1812, as it has its own civil records until then and many SMCV records refer to San Pietro Incorpo when it comes to birthplaces of some individuals born before 1812.
- MarieVolbeda
- Newbie

- Posts: 24
- Joined: 01 Aug 2009, 04:41
Re: History of Santa Maria Capua Vetere Caserta
Yes, I have a many times great grandfather and other family born in Santa Maria Maggiore , but little else is known. My curiosity is peaked and I just want to know more!! Thanks for responding.