I am confused on a document. According to the death record of Stephano Furnari, he was married to two women, Marianna Valenza and Josepha Viola. I have however found another marriage record dated 4 May 1817 for Stephano and Magdalena Jacono. However on 24 Feb 1818 I found this record which I am not sure what it is. I do see a couple of words that cause me to believe this is a record of an annulment. I am not really certain, but that does make some sense. Can anyone tell me? Thanks
John Pontious
Auburn CA
marriage record on the right side of page:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=2046915
understanding record in marriages
- Pontiusmaximus
- Rookie

- Posts: 40
- Joined: 17 Jul 2016, 23:20
- Location: Auburn, California
Re: understanding record in marriages
This is a very difficult record to decipher, at least for me. I do see that they are both listed as widowed (the abbreviations which appear after their names at the top of the record). I see reference to the marriage on May 4, 1817 being on page 184 of the book of matrimony. I also see that impediments were detected and something about separation, which I believe you see as well. So I am inclined to agree that this 1818 record is an annulment to their 1817 marriage. I don't believe that the impediments detected are specified in this record though.
Erudita
Erudita
Re: understanding record in marriages
What I understand is that the impediment (they were kindred in the 3rd degree) was not detected until after marriage. When it was detected, they were ordered to set apart as marriage was null. But then they got an exemption (is this the right word for "dispensa" ?) so they had to go in front of the priest to be married again (that's what happened on Feb 24th, 1818).
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: understanding record in marriages
Pippo
I'm glad you got a chance to look over this record. I had seen the number 3, but didn't realize it had to do with degree of kinship. Your reply makes a lot of sense. Thank you.
Erudita
I'm glad you got a chance to look over this record. I had seen the number 3, but didn't realize it had to do with degree of kinship. Your reply makes a lot of sense. Thank you.
Erudita
Re: understanding record in marriages
Glad to have helped! 
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
- Pontiusmaximus
- Rookie

- Posts: 40
- Joined: 17 Jul 2016, 23:20
- Location: Auburn, California
Re: understanding record in marriages
Thank you all so much. This was a tough one for me to try to wade thru
