suzyblu wrote:Hi! Just searching my scottish relatives and have discovered my gg grandfather was born in Italy no idea where! He doesn't have an Italian name, where do I start? I do not speak or read Italian. His name was Peter Carswell and was born between 1868-1870 then moved to Glasgow and married and then disappeared (can't find death cert or birth certs of his children).
Can anyone help me???
Susan

Hi Susan,
Do you have the Marriage Application of Peter? Who did he marry? Where did he marry? and When did he marry?
Also, when did he move to Glasgow? And you do mean Glasgow, Scotland, correct?
Now the only Peter (Pietro) that I found in the English Census was
Name: Pietro Cerasale
Age: 26
Estimated birth year: abt 1875
Relation: Head
Household: View other family members
Gender: Male
Where born: Italian Subject, Italy
Civil parish: Watford
Ecclesiatical parish: Watford St Mary
County/Island: Hertfordshire
Country: England
Source information: RG13/1318
Registration district: Watford
Sub-registration district: Watford
ED, institution, or vessel: 16
Folio: 52
Page: 6
Household schedule number: 43
This Pietro was married to Caterina, and they had Serafina, Michele, and Emily and another son that I can't make out the name.
What documents or proof do you have as to what Peter's name is and why you think he was from Italy?
Tell us what you have and hopefully we can help you better.
Trish