Grilli & Angeloni/Angelone

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
beenealogy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 10 Sep 2016, 16:44

Grilli & Angeloni/Angelone

Post by beenealogy »

Hello everyone,
A few months ago, I posted about part of my family that included the surnames Bursi and Ognibene, and I very much appreciate all the help that I was given. I was able to find out a lot more information about that side of the family and shared it with my Dad.
I figured I'd now ask about another part of his family, one that he didn't know very well: his father's parents. My father's father was orphaned at 5 years old in Greenport, NY after a tragic event. From there, death kind of plagued my grandfather's family until eventually he and his older brother had to go into an orphanage after the death of their grandmother, who had been raising them until that point. My grandfather's name was Amedeo Alfredo Grilli (later changed to Alfred Vincent) and his brother was Nicola (my father believes he eventually went by Nicholas). As for my grandfather and great-uncle, I have seen their names on census documents (they were both born in Greenport-Nicola in 1908 and Amedeo in 1910), although I have never been able to find too much out about my great-uncle. Between my grandfather's early passing at 58 and a rocky relationship with his brother, my dad never even met him.
I guess what I'd like to know is more about their parents. I know some information about them based on the census records, but I haven't been able to trace them in Italy, not even too sure what part of Italy they came from.
Henry/Henri E. Grilli (born around 1882 and died in March of 1915): This was my grandfather's father. I literally know next to nothing about the Grilli's in Italy or where it possibly could have originated. My great-grandfather appeared to have come over alone, but there still are a lot of Grilli's that live in Greenport, NY, making me think that probably wasn't the case. I was able to find some people with the same surname, but have still be unable to confirm any relation.
Clara Angelone/Angeloni (born around 1888 and died in March of 1915): she arrived in 1899 with her mother Lucia (c. 1861-1921) and who is most likely her father, Nunzio Angeloni (c. 1862-1907). Along with a sister Annie or some variation of the name.
I think I put in all the information I have, but if anyone would like to know anything more, I'll check again to see what else I can put down.
Thanks for any information!
Bryan
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Grilli & Angeloni/Angelone

Post by adelfio »

Looks like on the shipmanifest line#27 Henry Grilli was returning from Prali province of Torino

PG LINK
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... 8615/facts

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Grilli & Angeloni/Angelone

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Bryan :-)

Here is a 1910 Census showing Henry Grilli (spelled Greeley) in Greenport.
He resides in the home of Lucy Angeloni (his mother-in-law), with his wife, Clara, and children Nick (age 2) and Amada [Amadeo] (age 2 months.
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7884/44 ... 2902/facts

And ... in 1920 (parents Henry and Clara having died) the children are living with their grandmother Lucy Angeloni and her daughter Constantina.

Name Midor Grille (misspelling of Amadeo Grilli)
Event Type Census
Event Date 1920
Event Place Southold, Suffolk, New York, United States
Gender Male
Age 9
Marital Status Single
Race White
Race (Original) White
Relationship to Head of Household Grandson
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Grandson
Birth Year (Estimated) 1911
Birthplace New York
Father's Birthplace Italy
Mother's Birthplace Italy
Sheet Letter A
Sheet Number 12
Lucy Angeloni Head F 58 Italy
Constantine Angeloni Daughter F 15 New York
Nicolas Grille Grandson M 12 New York
Midor Grille Grandson M 9 New York

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Grilli & Angeloni/Angelone

Post by Tessa78 »

adelfio wrote: 22 Jan 2017, 18:07 Looks like on the shipmanifest line#27 Henry Grilli was returning from Prali province of Torino

PG LINK
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... 8615/facts

Marty
Hi Marty :-)

I checked out this Henry Grilli since he was destined for Chicago... You can view his naturalization records in 1926, at which time the Henry Grilli from Greenport was already deceased.

T.
beenealogy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 10 Sep 2016, 16:44

Re: Grilli & Angeloni/Angelone

Post by beenealogy »

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your attempts to look into this for me! I've seen that Chicago Henri Grilli before too and also got thrown off at first, but I don't really think that the connection is immediate. Since my original post, I did find out more about the Angelonis. As far as I know, Angeloni was the family name and that they came from Abruzzo. I feel like the Grillis may have been from that area as well because both the Angelonis and my Grilli great-grandfather moved to a part of New York that was not very populated by Italians at all. I wonder if they knew each other from Italy and somehow arranged it that way.

Bryan
IsleofCapri
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 11 Apr 2020, 00:02

Re: Grilli & Angeloni/Angelone

Post by IsleofCapri »

Hi. I am also looking for Angeloni/Angelone. The name Grilli does not appear in my searches but if anyone has any info regarding Sabbatino I would love to hear from you. My mother's cousin Eugenia Sabbatino married Gesidio (Joseph) Angeloni. They settled in NY. Just throwing this out there.

Thanks. Marie
Post Reply