Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 201
Joined: 16 May 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

jjk_16_21 wrote:Giuseppe's wife name is Rosie Scarcelli. She was born in West Virginia in 1911. Her Parents are from San Giovanni in Fiore and are Giuseppe Scarcelli and Barbara Laquinto??? I am not sure on the correct spelling of the maiden name.
Barbara's last name is more than likely Iaquinta. This is a very common name in San Giovanni in Fiore.

Are you aware that the West Virgina birth/death/marriage records are available online now?

My grandfather also immigrated from San Giovanni in Fiore to Harrison County, WV.
Donna Pellegrin
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by mfjp »

Here's a viewable file of the military card...

see section 14 of this card.....

That's what you wished for?

Name: Tommaso Guarascio
City: Not Stated
County: Harrison
State: West Virginia
Birth Date: 10 Apr 1873
Race: White

Wife mentioned is an Anna M.

http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/8190 ... aft6gw.gif

mfjp :P

Hi Donna, nice to see you help out again, hey... any luck with Alfieri??
User avatar
jjk_16_21
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: 19 Mar 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by jjk_16_21 »

Thank you very much for finding that military card for me. Where can I view those West Virginia Vital Records online at???
User avatar
jjk_16_21
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: 19 Mar 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by jjk_16_21 »

Scratch that, I found the site. I have used it before, however I did not find my desired marriage license and birth record of my grandparents. How would I go about getting the civil records for San Giovanni in Fiore?? Write down the numbers and take them to my FHL center??
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by ricbru »

jjk_16_21 wrote:Are you saying that I can Email the guy asking for my G-G-Grandfather military card?
I gave you the email, but what I suggest you is the following:

Write a request, in Italian, put an envelope and an international reply coupon, and add to your request a photocopy of your ID, and tell them you are his great grand son
Do that for both requests to Distretto militare and Archivio di Stato.
If there is something over there, they are going to send it to you,
bye Riccardo :lol:
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by mfjp »

Hi Again...

On page 1 of your post... click the link ricbru provided for you....

ricbru wrote...
or rent San Giovanni in Fiore civil record microfilm to FHL (mormon church)
The years of film available is from 1910 to 1810 (lucky you!)

To research from a Family History Center, Trish has some wonderful tips... the film rental is just over $5 per month per reel... and certainly worth the $. There are basic forms online that will help you translate the records.

Steps on obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581
How would I go about getting the civil records for San Giovanni in Fiore?? Write down the numbers and take them to my FHL center??
Yes... each reel has a serial #... do write that down take them to your FHC... waiting time for film to come in varies...

While you are at your FHC, check out the computers (if avail...) as you can also research from Ancestry.com for free there...

Looks like you are eager to research!

I think that's great... after you order your film... then it would be a good time to get familiar with the types of documents you will research from...

http://www.comunesofitaly.org/Links/RuthNerud.htm

When the film does come in, do take copies of the annual "indexes" first (if available)...

Do keep us updated... there's lots of free help here at the forum! :P

mfjp
User avatar
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 201
Joined: 16 May 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

jjk_16_21 wrote:Scratch that, I found the site. I have used it before, however I did not find my desired marriage license and birth record of my grandparents. How would I go about getting the civil records for San Giovanni in Fiore?? Write down the numbers and take them to my FHL center??
The online search engine for the WV records is really touchy. You have to try many variations of spelling. Sometimes I have had more luck searching for first names only! Don't give up if you are certain that they should be there.

If you are looking for Tommaso Guarascio's 1873 birth record, the film that you want is 1640563. I have been through this film before. The records for the year 1873 are handwritten. They are not easy to read, however, at the end of each year there is an index. Some years the index is in alphabetical order by first names. Some years the index is in alphabetical order by last names. My great-grandmother's sister was born in San Giovanni in Fiore in 1873 and I have a copy of her birthrecord. If you would like me to email it to you so that you can see what it looks like just send me a private message.

Hi Maria, no progress on the Alfieri branch. Thank you for asking. I've been busy working on my other branches and hoping that maybe someday some Alfieri news will come my way. Keep up the good work!
Donna Pellegrin
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by mfjp »

testing 123
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by nuccia »

Hi Maria!

We missed you this week! Thankfully, you're never far from us! We would be so lost without you! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Are you having trouble with this site too? :roll:

It's been like this all day! :x

Nuccia :x
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by mfjp »

Nuccia, I tried to reply to one of your posts and it wouldn't go through...

During my 4th attempt... I used Italian words that my mother taught me... and since I've never been banned before... I thought... "ahhh what the heck...."

obviously it didn't go through... or what if it does go through later... ???

sorry jkk1621... it seems like we can't reply to certain posts.. but can here... hope you don't mind... we're off topic though... promise to look for something for you later...

I even tried to log into the forum for the first time at "work" and got the error message... and then thought "oh no... BUSTED".... now my boss will find out for sure that I tried to log into the internet while I was supposed to be working... I can use the internet on my lunch hour (ya right...) as long as I don't download movies or listen to radio...

Well... it should be an interesting evening... I will log in later... just have mounds of laundry to do.. ahhhh mannaggia.......

Thanks Nuccia ... you are doing really well with helping people out... it's fun.... and everyone wins...

Maria
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by nuccia »

Hi Maria,

When this site is fixed you'll have to share your Italian "words" with us!! Am interested in the dialect (purely professionally of course). :lol:

I'll be happy to share Calabrian "words" with you from both ends of Calabria, if you're interested.

Glad work is good and glad you'll be logging on on your lunch hour. We need you. We need everyone here! :D

jjk_16_21...promise to help once this mess gets sorted out! Hang in there, okay?

Hugs Everyone!
Nuccia :D :D :D :D :D
User avatar
jjk_16_21
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: 19 Mar 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by jjk_16_21 »

I will help out, I use to have access to the Ancestry website. When I go down to the FHL center I will try to copy the entire files for San Giovanni In Fiore. Hopefully they have the new technology to burn the images to the CD. The information that everyone has found for me that I already had took me like months to find. Mainly becuase I did not know my G-G grandmothers maiden name. It took you guys and gals a matter of minutes. Thank you very much!!! I will be around to help with what I can. This is a great website for those wanting information about their ancesters.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by nuccia »

Thanks jjk_16_21,

I meant I promise to help you out! :oops: But since you offerred, welcome aboard! :D :D :D

We can always use new ideas, and it gets easier, so don't worry! :D I'm sure you have a lot to contribute!

Nuccia :D
User avatar
jjk_16_21
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: 19 Mar 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by jjk_16_21 »

for parish records write to

NATIVITA' BEATA VERGINE MARIA (SAN GIOVANNI IN FIORE )
Diocesi di COSENZA - BISIGNANO

S. LUCIA (SAN GIOVANNI IN FIORE )
Diocesi di COSENZA - BISIGNANO

S. MARIA DELLE GRAZIE CAPPUCCINI (SAN GIOVANNI IN FIORE )
Diocesi di COSENZA - BISIGNANO

S. MARIA DELLE GRAZIE MONASTERO (SAN GIOVANNI IN FIORE )
Diocesi di COSENZA - BISIGNANO

Somebody wrote this earlier in the post. Are these four different church's that are in San Giovanni in Fiore??? If I want to try to get my G-Grandfathers Baptism record, do you think I should send a letter to each church??
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: Guarascio/Guarashio/Wash Ancestry Help

Post by ricbru »

jjk_16_21 wrote:for parish records write to

NATIVITA' BEATA VERGINE MARIA (SAN GIOVANNI IN FIORE )
Diocesi di COSENZA - BISIGNANO

S. LUCIA (SAN GIOVANNI IN FIORE )
Diocesi di COSENZA - BISIGNANO

S. MARIA DELLE GRAZIE CAPPUCCINI (SAN GIOVANNI IN FIORE )
Diocesi di COSENZA - BISIGNANO

S. MARIA DELLE GRAZIE MONASTERO (SAN GIOVANNI IN FIORE )
Diocesi di COSENZA - BISIGNANO

Somebody wrote this earlier in the post. Are these four different church's that are in San Giovanni in Fiore??? If I want to try to get my G-Grandfathers Baptism record, do you think I should send a letter to each church??
Yes, you should also try to contact the Diocese of Cosenza, they should have in their archive, the church records of all the churches belonging to Cosenza area

Diocesi di Cosenza
Piazza G. Parrasio, 16
87100 Cosenza (CS)
Italy

E-mail: curiacs@tin.it

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:
Post Reply