Petrullo/Agolia family?
Petrullo/Agolia family?
Hello there, I am just starting down the road to collecting documents to attempt obtaining Italian citizenship. Frankly, I am feeling overwhelmed and a tad hopless at the moment. There is no one left alive to give me tips or steer me into the right direction. I am seeing names and thinking they might be leads only to find out they are not. Even when I think I'm onto something , something always pops up tipping me off that it's probably not accurate.
Here is what I do know. My grandfathers name was Antonio Petrullo. His birthday was listed as march 28 or march 30 1883 in two places. He came here on the vessel San Giorgio from Naples. He left Naples on April 14, 1909 and he arrived in New York City on April 30. The town of his birth was listed as Savoia Di Lucania. I have seen this town's name in several places on different documents. I also remember my uncle telling me that is where my family was from before he passed away in 2000. He also mentioned Potenza, maybe he mentioned this because it was the largest city nearby . Savoia di lucania is the name that seems to come up though. He died around June 15 1975. He was buried in a mausoleum so I could only find the interment date, i called the cemetery and they told me that he probably died 3-4 days prior to interment.
My grandmothers name was Maria. Her maiden name was Agolia. Not sure of the spelling but it was spelled like this in two places so I think its accurate or close. I also remember a relative telling me this decades ago and it stuck in my brain. I also found a record of her death in the nyc municiple deaths and her parents names were listed as Antonio Agolia and Mary Teresa Saragello. Her birthday was listed as October 18, 1885 in the municiple death data and it was listed as june 20 1885 on my Grandpas petition for naturalization. She died march 31 1944.
I found a social security application from my Grandpa which listed his father as Domenico Petrullo and his mother as Margarita Brancata. I remember my mother telling me that people used to call my father Domenico sometimes (his name was Thomas) after another relative so Domenico clicks as making sense here.
Maria and Antonio had 8 children, one died as a child. They were
James (also known as Vincent) oldest born in dec 1909
Tessie
Margaret
Minnie
Rosie
Thomas charles (my father)
Antoinette
Charles(deceased as a child)
I am nearly certain that my grandfathers brother was Rocco Petrullo. I found his declaration with a photo and he looks exactly like my uncle. He was on the same ship my grandfather was on, cannot find my grandfather on the manifest but Rocco is on it. Names are starting to reappear in places but i am now at the point of complete confusion and taking a step back. Just posting this to see if anyone here is a good searcher or has any ideas. I am basically trying to figure out what town to write to, trying to find some shred of evidence they left behind linking them to where they came from. I do not know where they married, italy or here. This is a problem.
Thank you!
Here is what I do know. My grandfathers name was Antonio Petrullo. His birthday was listed as march 28 or march 30 1883 in two places. He came here on the vessel San Giorgio from Naples. He left Naples on April 14, 1909 and he arrived in New York City on April 30. The town of his birth was listed as Savoia Di Lucania. I have seen this town's name in several places on different documents. I also remember my uncle telling me that is where my family was from before he passed away in 2000. He also mentioned Potenza, maybe he mentioned this because it was the largest city nearby . Savoia di lucania is the name that seems to come up though. He died around June 15 1975. He was buried in a mausoleum so I could only find the interment date, i called the cemetery and they told me that he probably died 3-4 days prior to interment.
My grandmothers name was Maria. Her maiden name was Agolia. Not sure of the spelling but it was spelled like this in two places so I think its accurate or close. I also remember a relative telling me this decades ago and it stuck in my brain. I also found a record of her death in the nyc municiple deaths and her parents names were listed as Antonio Agolia and Mary Teresa Saragello. Her birthday was listed as October 18, 1885 in the municiple death data and it was listed as june 20 1885 on my Grandpas petition for naturalization. She died march 31 1944.
I found a social security application from my Grandpa which listed his father as Domenico Petrullo and his mother as Margarita Brancata. I remember my mother telling me that people used to call my father Domenico sometimes (his name was Thomas) after another relative so Domenico clicks as making sense here.
Maria and Antonio had 8 children, one died as a child. They were
James (also known as Vincent) oldest born in dec 1909
Tessie
Margaret
Minnie
Rosie
Thomas charles (my father)
Antoinette
Charles(deceased as a child)
I am nearly certain that my grandfathers brother was Rocco Petrullo. I found his declaration with a photo and he looks exactly like my uncle. He was on the same ship my grandfather was on, cannot find my grandfather on the manifest but Rocco is on it. Names are starting to reappear in places but i am now at the point of complete confusion and taking a step back. Just posting this to see if anyone here is a good searcher or has any ideas. I am basically trying to figure out what town to write to, trying to find some shred of evidence they left behind linking them to where they came from. I do not know where they married, italy or here. This is a problem.
Thank you!
Re: Petrullo/Agolia family?
Adding to my post here......i just unearthed a metal box my mother used to keep important papers in and i found my own fathers birth certificate and his birth name was Domenico. Every other document with his name listed was Thomas Charles. I have no idea why this is or how his name changed like this. Also, I found my fathers death certificate and his mothers maiden name was spelled Agoglia , it was spelled Agolia elsewhere so not sure what thats about either!
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Petrullo/Agoglia family?
Hi
The correct spelling is Agoglia. Both surnames Agoglia and Petrullo are names that appear in the town Savoia di Lucania. The town Savoia di Lucania is in the Province of Potenza so that would be why your uncle would have talked about both Savoia di Lucania and Potenza. (The town Potenza is the capital of the province of Potenza.) The other names you mention are also Savoia di Lucania names, except for Saragello????? I can't find this name? Are you able to post the document with this name on it for us to look at.
I've had a quick search and, based on the info you have provided here, have located the following, which seem like they belong to your grandparents.
Birth No 11: Michele Antonio Petrullo
Savoia di Lucania: 29 March 1883
Father: Domenico Petrullo, 46yo, peasant farmer, living Savoia di Lucania
Mother: Margherita Brancati, Domenico's wife
Born: 28 March, 1883, 11.05 am, at a house in Corso Vittorio Emmanuala (Emanuele)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043547
Birth No 51: Maria Agoglia
Savoia di Lucania: 13 October 1885
Father: Antonio Agoglia
Mother: Maria Teresa Laisi, wife of Antonio Agoglia
Born: 13 October 1885, 1.15 am, at a house in Strada Porta S. Giovanni
It says that at the time of the birth the father was in America.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043547
Marriage Bann No 3: Michele Antonio Petrullo and Maria Agoglia
Savoia di Lucania: 23 March 1907
Groom: Michele Antonio Petrullo, 24 yo, peasant farmer, residing in Savoia di Lucania, son of Domenico, 65 yo, and son of Margherita Brancati, both peasant farmers, living in the town
Bride: Maria Agoglia, 21 yo, peasant farmer, residing Savoia di Lucania, daughter of Antonio, 53 yo, and Maria Teresa Laisi, both peasant farmers living in the town.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043547
I also found the following registration card. The date of birth ties in with the the birth record: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1861144
Is this your grandfather. One thing I noticed is that he has signed his name on the registration card but he was illiterate when he married in 1907.
Angela
The correct spelling is Agoglia. Both surnames Agoglia and Petrullo are names that appear in the town Savoia di Lucania. The town Savoia di Lucania is in the Province of Potenza so that would be why your uncle would have talked about both Savoia di Lucania and Potenza. (The town Potenza is the capital of the province of Potenza.) The other names you mention are also Savoia di Lucania names, except for Saragello????? I can't find this name? Are you able to post the document with this name on it for us to look at.
I've had a quick search and, based on the info you have provided here, have located the following, which seem like they belong to your grandparents.
Birth No 11: Michele Antonio Petrullo
Savoia di Lucania: 29 March 1883
Father: Domenico Petrullo, 46yo, peasant farmer, living Savoia di Lucania
Mother: Margherita Brancati, Domenico's wife
Born: 28 March, 1883, 11.05 am, at a house in Corso Vittorio Emmanuala (Emanuele)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043547
Birth No 51: Maria Agoglia
Savoia di Lucania: 13 October 1885
Father: Antonio Agoglia
Mother: Maria Teresa Laisi, wife of Antonio Agoglia
Born: 13 October 1885, 1.15 am, at a house in Strada Porta S. Giovanni
It says that at the time of the birth the father was in America.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043547
Marriage Bann No 3: Michele Antonio Petrullo and Maria Agoglia
Savoia di Lucania: 23 March 1907
Groom: Michele Antonio Petrullo, 24 yo, peasant farmer, residing in Savoia di Lucania, son of Domenico, 65 yo, and son of Margherita Brancati, both peasant farmers, living in the town
Bride: Maria Agoglia, 21 yo, peasant farmer, residing Savoia di Lucania, daughter of Antonio, 53 yo, and Maria Teresa Laisi, both peasant farmers living in the town.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043547
I also found the following registration card. The date of birth ties in with the the birth record: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1861144
Is this your grandfather. One thing I noticed is that he has signed his name on the registration card but he was illiterate when he married in 1907.
Angela
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Petrullo/Agolia family?
One more thing. You mentioned the ship manifest that you found. This should be your grandfather here: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JXYX-T6G
He went by his given name Michele here on the manifest and maybe then he changed it to his second given name Antonio? It happens a lot.
Michele Petrullo
New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island)
Given Namea: Michele
Surname: Petrullo
Last Place of Residence: Potenza, Savoin Lucania
Event Date: 30 Apr 1909
Age: 24y
Nationality: Italy Italian South
Departure Port: Naples
Arrival Port: New York
Gender: Male
Marital Status: M
Ship Name: San Giorgio
Angela
He went by his given name Michele here on the manifest and maybe then he changed it to his second given name Antonio? It happens a lot.
Michele Petrullo
New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island)
Given Namea: Michele
Surname: Petrullo
Last Place of Residence: Potenza, Savoin Lucania
Event Date: 30 Apr 1909
Age: 24y
Nationality: Italy Italian South
Departure Port: Naples
Arrival Port: New York
Gender: Male
Marital Status: M
Ship Name: San Giorgio
Angela
Re: Petrullo/Agolia family?
Oh my goodness THANK YOU THANK YOU!! Did I say thank you? Well THANK YOU! I am so happy right now I was really despairing and so confused. I saw Michele on a ship manifest photo over on ancestry and it even listed something like "wife maria agoglia in italy" or something in the comment section but the "michele"really threw me off. I hadn't seen it anywhere except that ship manifest and there have been so many mispellings and wrong dates it wasnt adding up for me. These are the two people who I need documents for. Since the town is consistent, would this be the place i would write to for the information?
I really cannot thank you enough!
I really cannot thank you enough!
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Petrullo/Agolia family?
You are very welcome. I'm so pleased that this is all starting to fall into place for you. All the best with applying for Italian Citizenship. Yes, I would write to Savoia di Lucania. Someone who is experienced with applying for Italian Citizenship will be able to help you with a letter and the correct address.
If you are interested I also came across the following:
Birth No 40: Vincenzo Petrullo (In America name often changes to "James" Petrullo)
Savoia di Lucania: 9 December 1909
Mariantonia Insetti?, 59 yo, midwife, living in the town reported the birth.
Born: 6 December 1909, 6.20 am, at a house in Corso Vittorio Emmanuele
Parents: Maria Agoglia, daughter of deceased Antonio, legitimate wife of Michele Antonio Petrullo, son of deceased Domenico,
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043547
Maria and Vincenzo, 15 months, travelled to see husband/father, now called Antonio, 1911 arriving New York, 5 May, on board the Cretic. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JJ2W-13Y
See Line 20 and 21 ships manifest. It looks like she travelled with her brother Rocco and her sister in law Teresa Laisi. They had a brother Pasquale. Does that sound right?
Angela
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Re: Petrullo/Agolia family?
Wow! I'm so emotional right now i feel like I'm on the journey with them! Vincenzo is my uncle Jimmy who I adored, he died in 2000. I had no idea that both of my grandparents fathers died so soon. I guess people died a lot younger then in general, especially in poor areas. I have no idea about any siblings to my grandparents either. When I found Rocco Petrullo's naturalization petition on ancestery I was 98% sure that was my grandfather Antonio's (Michele) brother because he is a dead ringer for my uncle Jimmy and he was listed next to my grandfather's name Michele on the manifest and it said they were brothers I think. The writing is a little blurry but there was a little bracket and scribble and I think it said "bro" I only knew as far back as my grandparents, I knew virtually nothing about my grandmother since she died 21 years before I was born. This is bittersweet. I wish i could see her or hear her voice. The curiosity is really something. Getting the records is going to take some doing. Even here in nyc I cannot easily get my Grandfathers death cert because the date of death listed is the date of interment so I will have to submit a letter asking for a search for the exact date. Little by little, you have no idea how much you have helped me. I am not bilingual so none of the records make sense to me. I really want to cry right now, I feel like I am making progress thanks you and your effort!
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Petrullo/Agolia family?
Here's Rocco and Michele's passenger list in case you are looking for it. Do you know what happened on 19 September 1940? If you look at the manifest there is a number next to this date, Rocco's line, bottom image. It would've been a few months after Italy declared war. Was he interned?
I certainly can relate to what you are saying about feeling overwhelmed. I'll get back to you about that another time.
Angela
I certainly can relate to what you are saying about feeling overwhelmed. I'll get back to you about that another time.
Angela
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Re: Petrullo/Agolia family?
That is so strange! I saw that over on ancestry but I didnt notice that date, why would that be written on a manifest from 1909? Could it be something else? I found his petition though, for some reason i am having trouble using the add attachment feature here I hope this works! You may have to copy and paste, I dont know why i cannot add this as an attachment
http://i63.tinypic.com/2130let.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/2130let.jpg
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Petrullo/Agolia family?
So what I am understanding is, (I'm not American so I might have this wrong) the number which has been written later on the Passenger List is the same number as his Naturalisation No. He applied for naturalisation in 1832 so he definitely wouldn't have been interned. How lovely to have this document.
Edit to Add:
Here's his Birth Record:
Birth No 60: Roccantonio Petrullo
Born on 20 December 1879, 6.05 pm, as per his Naturalisation Application. His parents were Domenico Petrullo, 36 yo, and Margherita Brancati, peasant farmers (contadini). Born Strada Corso Vittorio Emanuele, Savoia di Lucania.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043547
Kathy, you have some really great records for your town on line starting 1809-1910. There's possibly more on Ancestry.com from 1911 – they would be Death Records. If you are ever needing any help with looking for records or translating records that you find we are always happy to help you. You need to carefully work backwards from what you already have, that way it is accurate and fairly straightforward.
Savoia di Lucania 1866-1910: https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043547
Savoia di Lucania was originally called Salvia di Lucania so your earlier records should be here as follows:
Salvia 1861-1865: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... no/Salvia/
Salvia 1816-1860: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ne/Salvia/
Salvia 1809-1815: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... co/Salvia/
There'll be some years missing within these timeframes.
Angela
Edit to Add:
Here's his Birth Record:
Birth No 60: Roccantonio Petrullo
Born on 20 December 1879, 6.05 pm, as per his Naturalisation Application. His parents were Domenico Petrullo, 36 yo, and Margherita Brancati, peasant farmers (contadini). Born Strada Corso Vittorio Emanuele, Savoia di Lucania.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043547
Kathy, you have some really great records for your town on line starting 1809-1910. There's possibly more on Ancestry.com from 1911 – they would be Death Records. If you are ever needing any help with looking for records or translating records that you find we are always happy to help you. You need to carefully work backwards from what you already have, that way it is accurate and fairly straightforward.
Savoia di Lucania 1866-1910: https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043547
Savoia di Lucania was originally called Salvia di Lucania so your earlier records should be here as follows:
Salvia 1861-1865: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... no/Salvia/
Salvia 1816-1860: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ne/Salvia/
Salvia 1809-1815: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... co/Salvia/
There'll be some years missing within these timeframes.
Angela
Re: Petrullo/Agolia family?
Thank you so much Angela! This is incredible! My searching skills seem to be terrible with what you have found for me , i need to poke around and see how to use this properly. i still cant locate records with the skill you have! The birth and marriage records are what I need to obtain now. At least now i have exact dates and names! This should make it easy to find! There is so much to do, i was feeling pretty positive until I realized that everything I have here needs to be translated and apostilled. I wish i could just go to my local consulate but at least I'm not eliminated completely and i am really enjoying learning more about my background! I'm having sausage and peppers for dinner tonight to get myself into the spirit 
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Petrullo/Agoglia family?
You are very welcome, Kathy. I was very happy to help. I'm sure you have fantastic research skills – it's not easy reading documents when you don't know the language....and the beautiful script, at times, can be really difficult to read, even for those that do know the language. It also doesn't help that there are so many errors in the "indexing" on ancestry.com and other sites, etc.
It sounds like you still have a bit of work to cover – a step at a time, you'll get there.
Re your grandfather's date of death, have you tried searching the 1975 papers for an obit. You could also maybe rephone the cemetery and make further enquiries regarding his actual date of death.
Sausage and Peppers! Interesting..... Are they Italian sausages? When I was growing up we always made our own Italian sausages and salami. They were to die for. My parents would buy a side of pork, and would cup the meat, mince it with our huge manual mincer .....etc etc – it was so labour intensive, but oh so worth it. Hope you enjoyed yours.
Angela
It sounds like you still have a bit of work to cover – a step at a time, you'll get there.
Re your grandfather's date of death, have you tried searching the 1975 papers for an obit. You could also maybe rephone the cemetery and make further enquiries regarding his actual date of death.
Sausage and Peppers! Interesting..... Are they Italian sausages? When I was growing up we always made our own Italian sausages and salami. They were to die for. My parents would buy a side of pork, and would cup the meat, mince it with our huge manual mincer .....etc etc – it was so labour intensive, but oh so worth it. Hope you enjoyed yours.
Angela
Re: Petrullo/Agolia family?
Thank you for being so supportive Angela! I actually got my sausage from a place where they make it themselves and the owner came here from Italy in 1974. We've been talking a lot about it lately and he told me he came here with his father when he was 10 years old, I go in his shop a lot for many years now and we always chitchat. He makes everything there and it's delicious!
You are right about the language thing, I think that's why I have major problems finding things as easily as you do. I am used to just typing something in the search box and going. But this is far more complicated than that! I still have no idea how you found those records but I'm so grateful to you, now I have to figure out how to write a letter to them and request those records. I actually did call the cemetery and they told me that they stopped keeping records after the late 60s as far as the exact date of death. They only have the dates that people were intered in the crypt. I haven't been able to find any obituary for my grandfather either. At this point I'm kind of wondering if I need his death certificate if I'm going to do this through my grandmother. I think I'm just going to have to write to one of those lawyers people are recommending and ask them exactly what documents I need and go from there! This is going to be a long process
You are right about the language thing, I think that's why I have major problems finding things as easily as you do. I am used to just typing something in the search box and going. But this is far more complicated than that! I still have no idea how you found those records but I'm so grateful to you, now I have to figure out how to write a letter to them and request those records. I actually did call the cemetery and they told me that they stopped keeping records after the late 60s as far as the exact date of death. They only have the dates that people were intered in the crypt. I haven't been able to find any obituary for my grandfather either. At this point I'm kind of wondering if I need his death certificate if I'm going to do this through my grandmother. I think I'm just going to have to write to one of those lawyers people are recommending and ask them exactly what documents I need and go from there! This is going to be a long process
Re: Petrullo/Agolia family?
I have one more question here that might sound dumb but Im confused here, the front of the record book these came from says Satriano di lucania but the town this happened in was savoia di lucania , i found websites and emails for both of these places and Im not sure who to send my request to. Any suggestions? I dont want to send my email to the wrong place !
Re: Petrullo/Agolia family?
Hi send no money and a photo id with your request in Italian
Comune di Savoia di Lucania
Piazza Plebiscito
85050 Savoia di Lucania (PZ)
Italy
Ufficio Demografico, Elettorale, Stato Civile e Leva
E-mail: rocchina.langone@comune.savoia.pz.it
Marty
Comune di Savoia di Lucania
Piazza Plebiscito
85050 Savoia di Lucania (PZ)
Italy
Ufficio Demografico, Elettorale, Stato Civile e Leva
E-mail: rocchina.langone@comune.savoia.pz.it
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
