Hello, I am hoping I can run this by the helpful people here to help get myself organized and goal directed with the process I'm undertaking. I have been reading a lot here and i am beginning to obtain documents for a possible 1948 case for myself.
From what I have gathered I am going to need
Grandmas birth, marriage and death certificates.
My fathers birth, marriage and death certificates
My own birth certificate (not married and no children)
My questions are these:
Since reading here i have learned that my grandmother was considered naturalized in the US because my grandfather was but Rome doesnt recognize her citizenship and this is the crux of this case. That said, do I still need to obtain an absence of records statement for my Grandmother? Or my grandfathers naturalization cert? This seems pointless, I am confused with this though. Since my grandfather was naturalized before my fathers birth I am assuming that he is out of the picture and his records don"t matter, am i correct in assuming this?
When obtaining doucments do i need to specify something in particular? For example , do i need to ask my grandmothers town for an official or certified copy of her birth and marriage certificates? As far as the US documentation am i asking for "certified" or official copies too?
My father was named Domenico at birth but went by the name Thomas his whole life. Is his death certificate with his mothers name on it enough to prove that he is one in the same person or do I have to do something to correct this?
I apologize if I am asking questions that have been answered, I have sifted through a lot of posts and these are things I have been left wondering. I want to gather my documents before consulting a lawyer and Im just a little unclear as to these details I'm asking about. Thank you to anyone who responds to this and can clarify !
Documents for a 1948 case
Re: Documents for a 1948 case
These are questions best asked of your lawyer. The Italian lawyers handling 1948 cases are quite knowledgeable regarding the automatic naturalization of women during that period, so they will know the documents required by the courts.
The Domenico/Thomas discrepancy may well be a problem. Since yours is a court case, only your lawyer can provide you with information on how to deal with this in a manner that is acceptable to the courts.
Best to check with the lawyer before going on a wild goose chase for documents you may not need.
That being said, your grandfather's documents are essential since his naturalization created the opening for your grandmother. Request all of your grandparents' Italian documents. And yes, all US documents must be in long form, certified, and apostilled.
The Domenico/Thomas discrepancy may well be a problem. Since yours is a court case, only your lawyer can provide you with information on how to deal with this in a manner that is acceptable to the courts.
Best to check with the lawyer before going on a wild goose chase for documents you may not need.
That being said, your grandfather's documents are essential since his naturalization created the opening for your grandmother. Request all of your grandparents' Italian documents. And yes, all US documents must be in long form, certified, and apostilled.
Re: Documents for a 1948 case
Thank you, i will send an email today and see what i can find out !

