Looking for information on ggggmother Rose Crosetti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
adamf
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 63
Joined: 27 Apr 2008, 22:09
Location: Chicago, IL

Looking for information on ggggmother Rose Crosetti

Post by adamf »

Well, this message is more a hope that someone will come upon this message through an internet search. I don't really expect to find any documents, as I just don't have enough info (but I have seen you guys do wonders before). Of course, any suggestions by the board would be appreciated.

My ggggparents were Thomas Buffo and Rose Crosetti. Rose Crosetti is the target of this query.

I know very little about her. She was Thomas Buffo's first wife. They settled in Spring Valley, IL. I do not know when they arrived. I know they were married until 1890. I do not know if they were married in Italy or in the U.S. They had two children Domenica and Caroline. Domenica "Minnie" was my gggm. She was born Jan 24 1888 in Spring Valley, IL (as the first child, a tentative date of marriage would be about 1887 as a guess). Caroline was born Apr 14 1890 in Spring Valley, IL. At some point in 1890, Thomas and Rose separated. He went back to Italy, got another wife named Ernestine. Came back to Spring Valley area and had 4 more children.

Rose Crosetti disappears somewhere. All I know is she died at 74 years of age in California. I know this only because a genealogy researcher who died in the '80's had this notation in his research records. Unfortunately that was all he had. And unfortunately birth and church records in 1880's Spring Valley are not existent.

I know plenty about Thomas, and his second wife Ernestine. In fact, I thought Ernestine was my ggggm until this new information recently came to light. I know that Thomas is from Pratiglione in the north of Italy. I have already sent off a request for his birth and marriage records, in the hopes that he married Rose over there.

Its maddening because I know there are records in the U.S. for her somewhere, as she died in California. So far I just don't have a way to find her.

Anyway, lengthy post I know. Thanks to all you wonderful people for your efforts.
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Looking for information on ggggmother Rose Crosetti

Post by pink67 »

:D Hello Adam!

Don't know if this arrival manifest could be a good possibility... but I think the last names Crosetti and Buffo togheter are a good beginning... :wink:

Crosetto Rosina, age 19, single, going to Braidwood (If I'm not wrong it's in IL?) and a few lines below a Buffo G.B (short for Giovanni Battista or Gio Batta) going to Braidwood too... :!:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Rosina Crosetto
Name: Rosina Crosetto
Arrival Date: 20 Oct 1881
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1862
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Port of Departure: Le Havre, France
Destination: Braidwood,United States of America
Place of Origin: Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Labrador
Search Ship Database: Search the Labrador in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 37
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_443
List Number: 1477
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

[img=http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6942 ... riv.th.jpg]

Laura
User avatar
adamf
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 63
Joined: 27 Apr 2008, 22:09
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Looking for information on ggggmother Rose Crosetti

Post by adamf »

A great start!!!

I think this one is definitely a possibility too. Many Italian coal miners and their families stopped in Braidwood before moving on to Spring Valley, so this is definitely an interesting record.
User avatar
adamf
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 63
Joined: 27 Apr 2008, 22:09
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Looking for information on ggggmother Rose Crosetti

Post by adamf »

Ok, so using that record as a possible jumping off point, Rose died in around 1936 in California. Not a whole lot to go on. But if anyone can make anything from California records, I'd appreciate it. The budget is getting tight and I recently had to cancel my ancestry account, otherwise I'd peruse myself.
silviamaria
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 03 Jun 2016, 01:11

Re: Looking for information on ggggmother Rose Crosetti

Post by silviamaria »

My grandmother was Carolina Buffo, born in Spring Valley and sent to Canischio (Piemonte, Italia) where he grew up;He married Sabino Porro she had a two son: Pietro Felice and Olga both of them deceased. I know she lived in Canischio until her death. I also know that in the United States his parents and siblings were left, but i do not know data. This is all I know from my origins.
I live in Argentina.
silviamaria
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 03 Jun 2016, 01:11

Re: Looking for information on ggggmother Rose Crosetti

Post by silviamaria »

All that my father told me was that Carolina Buffo was taken to Canischio from the United States when she was very young and raised by very old relatives. My dad never talked about his grandparents or close family and we are based in Argentina since before I was born. I would like to know more data if possible!
By some realized searches it is possible that the parents of Carolina (my grandmother) were of Cuorgne or Prascorsano (region of Canavese), all places neighboring each other.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Looking for information on ggggmother Rose Crosetti

Post by adelfio »

INDEX#8
1890 Nov 30th in the town of Pratiglione

Marriage of Tomasso Buffo born 09/20/1865 son of Luigi Buffo and Domenica Tarrocchione married Genisio Ferdinanda Domenica Tarrocchione born 02/19/1871 daughter of Bernardo Tarrocchione and Maria Rolle

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1475996

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
silvia
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 16 Jun 2015, 17:05

Re: Looking for information on ggggmother Rose Crosetti

Post by silvia »

Reading, I see that Thomas married Rose Crosetti and then with Ernestine Tarrachione; But also with Genisio Ferdinanda Tarrochione? Or are Ernestine and Geniosio the same people?
truesearch
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 23 Jul 2016, 04:45

Re: Looking for information on ggggmother Rose Crosetti

Post by truesearch »

Ernestine and Genisio are probably the same people. However, further documentation from the U.S. would be necessary to confirm this assumption.
User avatar
adamf
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 63
Joined: 27 Apr 2008, 22:09
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Looking for information on ggggmother Rose Crosetti

Post by adamf »

Silviamaria, we are cousins!! I have since found much more information.

Rose remarried and moved out to the western United states, and left my great great grandmother Minnie with her father in about 1890. There were apparently bad feelings, and they did not see each other again for 46 years. There is some family story that Minnie did not know her mother was Rose until she showed up in 1936. Rose drove from California to Illinois with 2 of her grandsons and found her daughter. Rose was 74.

I apologize for not seeing your messages until now. I got distracted by life. :) I will monitor this message in hopes of hearing from you.

Adam
silviamaria
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 03 Jun 2016, 01:11

Re: Looking for information on ggmother Rose Crosetti

Post by silviamaria »

Me alegra saber que somos primos! He creado mi arbol genealogico en Myheritage, y no es facil encontrar datos, pero ahora estando en contacto será mucho mas sencillo.
Tenemos primos en Turin y en Brasil (hijos de Olga Porro) y yo tengo dos hermanos mas. Le envio saludos y estaré atenta a los mensajes yo tambien.
Post Reply