Has Anyone Been to These Places?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Post Reply
cdemarco
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 17 Apr 2016, 00:33

Has Anyone Been to These Places?

Post by cdemarco »

I'm visiting Italy this May and am, in addition to spending time in Rome, Naples, and Benevento, also spending a day each (approximately) at my ancestors' hometowns in southern Italy. Specifically, Alvignano, Moiano, Mirabella Eclano, and Sasso di Castalda (the first three near Benevento, the last in Basilicata). Has anyone visited any of those places before? Any tips for visiting? I'm planning on staying in Benevento and driving to the smaller towns each day, has anyone driven in those towns? Has anyone visited archives there and were the archivists/registrars helpful?
antonia553
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 23 Mar 2017, 20:29

Re: Has Anyone Been to These Places?

Post by antonia553 »

I visited a small town in Molise last year, just be aware that not all towns have archives that are open all the time, if they even have one. You could do some searches on this website beforehand:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... Benevento/
depending on the dates of records you are looking for, you will need to select from Napolionic (early records) ot Stato Civile (after Italy became a country).
Moiano is listed in this archive. Not sure about the others, they are not listed as being in this archive, so either perhaps they do not have their records digitized or they are in another state archive, see list here:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.it/?q=gallery

As far as being helpful, everyone was very helpful and nice in the little towns I went to.
cdemarco
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 17 Apr 2016, 00:33

Re: Has Anyone Been to These Places?

Post by cdemarco »

Thanks for the links! It's nice to hear that you found helpful people in the towns you visited. Actually, I have some ancestors from Molise as well (Gambatesa and Macchia Valfortore), but can't visit them this trip because I only learned about them after I got my itinerary set!
lcmor
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 155
Joined: 18 Jul 2016, 12:09
Location: Penne, Pescara, Abruzzo, Italy

Re: Has Anyone Been to These Places?

Post by lcmor »

@cdemarco. I've just come back from a research trip that took me very close to Alvignano. I can tell you it's a fascinating area indeed; sitting in a landscape of dormant volcanos. In Pietravairano which is very close to Alvignano they have just excavated a Roman ampitheatre, which unfortunately I didn't get a chance to visit, but looks fascinating!! My advice to you would be to let the Mayor of each town know that you intend to come and visit and they will hopefully get involved in helping you to have a really personal experience. They may help you to find living relatives and the homes where your family lived. Mayors in Italy are much more hands on and work directly with the public...this would be considered a normal thing for them to do. My experience with the people of caserta is that they are incredibly friendly and welcoming. But you may want to try to find a local interpreter to enhance your experience. Have fun on your trip!
FROM ABRUZZO WITH LOVE genealogy services
contact: info@abruzzowithlove.com
http://www.abruzzowithlove.com
Find us on...
Facebook: /abruzzowithlove
Twitter: @abruzzowithlove
Instagram: abruzzowithlove
lcmor
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 155
Joined: 18 Jul 2016, 12:09
Location: Penne, Pescara, Abruzzo, Italy

Re: Has Anyone Been to These Places?

Post by lcmor »

Also I think Alvignano is wine country if I'm not mistaken. If might be fun to do a tour of the vineyards too!
FROM ABRUZZO WITH LOVE genealogy services
contact: info@abruzzowithlove.com
http://www.abruzzowithlove.com
Find us on...
Facebook: /abruzzowithlove
Twitter: @abruzzowithlove
Instagram: abruzzowithlove
JamesM
Elite
Elite
Posts: 444
Joined: 19 Mar 2015, 00:49
Location: Esperia, Italy

Re: Has Anyone Been to These Places?

Post by JamesM »

lcmor wrote: 06 Apr 2017, 09:33 In Pietravairano which is very close to Alvignano they have just excavated a Roman ampitheatre, which unfortunately I didn't get a chance to visit, but looks fascinating!!
I was just there, Pietravairano, with my cousin and the amphitheater was quite a site. Also the anagrafe was very helpful in town too.
Rossonero3
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 159
Joined: 28 Mar 2017, 23:09
Location: Salem, MA USA

Re: Has Anyone Been to These Places?

Post by Rossonero3 »

Pietravairano that's right next to the tiny frazione of Sarcioni (my last name is Sarcione) that i'll be visiting two weeks from now. I'll also be in Marzano Appio and Tuorocasale where I can trace our family name back to the 1700's. We found a great little agriturismo to stay at in Caianello, should be nice, can't wait!!
Pietravairano looks beautiful.
Researching areas - Marzano Appio, Caserta and Carinola, Caserta
cdemarco
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 17 Apr 2016, 00:33

Re: Has Anyone Been to These Places?

Post by cdemarco »

That's great advice about the mayor, thank you! I tried contacting the local priests, but only got a response from one. I hadn't really thought about the mayor.

It's good to hear you enjoyed your trip to the region. Did you have much trouble communicating with the local people, or do you know Italian? (I'm afraid my Italian is very limited).
lcmor
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 155
Joined: 18 Jul 2016, 12:09
Location: Penne, Pescara, Abruzzo, Italy

Re: Has Anyone Been to These Places?

Post by lcmor »

I'm fluent in Italian so it's easy for me. I think having the language really helps you to connect with people. But having someone with you who does speak Italian would also enhance your experience I think. If you contact the mayor and explain that you don't speak Italian he may be able to get in contact with someone locally who speaks English that might enjoy the experience of practicing their English with you. Good luck!
FROM ABRUZZO WITH LOVE genealogy services
contact: info@abruzzowithlove.com
http://www.abruzzowithlove.com
Find us on...
Facebook: /abruzzowithlove
Twitter: @abruzzowithlove
Instagram: abruzzowithlove
cdemarco
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 17 Apr 2016, 00:33

Re: Has Anyone Been to These Places?

Post by cdemarco »

Thank you, I really appreciate your advice!
Post Reply