Italian - French Citizen Born in Algeria

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Italian - French Citizen Born in Algeria

Post by suanj »

the Birth town, it could be: El Madher? In Batna province, Algeria?
It is the only similar name town that I can find... I searched in Constantine no in Batna...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
SuzanneSap
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 26 Apr 2017, 15:47

Re: Italian - French Citizen Born in Algeria

Post by SuzanneSap »

Good day,

Attached is a scanned copy of Giovanni's discharge document as requested. I also attached passage documents which I believe are his first entry in the US. I have had the same problem with the area of algeria for birth. I also have a copy of his INS records, but they added more confusion to an ever changing story. I do appreciate all your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Italian - French Citizen Born in Algeria

Post by suanj »

Hi, thanks,
now I understand, before I understood that the document was the unlimited leave of military service in the Navy...
no absolutely, he instead was a crew man.... So all I said before is not relevant, because the document is other matter...
well, so it is more hard the search....
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
SuzanneSap
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 26 Apr 2017, 15:47

Re: Italian - French Citizen Born in Algeria

Post by SuzanneSap »

So what is this document? Was he not in the Military?
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Italian - French Citizen Born in Algeria

Post by suanj »

The document is the number of crewmen and the master of ship, stated that 17 men deserted.. on the document are the names of 17 and where they sailed etc... Giovanni surname is Allegretta no Allegretti and that make the difference, he sailed as crew to Buenos Aires, Argentina, on Valbormida ship.. I read the names and are many surnames of Molfetta town, Apulia region, and I believe Giovanni was Allegretta in Italy....
These are just ideas abt the search, however no records in Algeria, so who know..... You don' t have more infos... The his sister remained in Italy?
Let me know,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
SuzanneSap
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 26 Apr 2017, 15:47

Re: Italian - French Citizen Born in Algeria

Post by SuzanneSap »

Yes his sister remained in Italy as did his parents.

The discharge document I attached that is in Italian, is that not a military document. I have tried to attach the document I have in italian several times, but I do not see it. I believe that is where the confusion is coming. I DO have an Italian discharge document, but I can not upload it.
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Italian - French Citizen Born in Algeria

Post by mmogno »

Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
SuzanneSap
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 26 Apr 2017, 15:47

Re: Italian - French Citizen Born in Algeria

Post by SuzanneSap »

Thank you I will try to post again!
SuzanneSap
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 26 Apr 2017, 15:47

Re: Italian - French Citizen Born in Algeria

Post by SuzanneSap »

i hope it attached this time. Success!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Italian - French Citizen Born in Algeria

Post by suanj »

Oh, so I understood well the first time! The document is the Congedo Illimitato..and on are all data! Your ancestor right name was Giovanni Allegretti! The mother was Annunziata.. He was in the Navy, in Livorno place. His birthplace, or his parent' s residence was Taranto town.
On the document it is wrote that his military service,in the Navy, pertaining the military service of men born in Taranto on 1902...
Surely the his birth record is in Taranto, also, ok?
And that make sense because in the previous posted document, I read many surnames of Apulia region.....
Let me know your suggestions,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Italian - French Citizen Born in Algeria

Post by suanj »

Taranto town or some commune in Taranto province, that is the area where Giovanni birth record was filed...
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
SuzanneSap
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 26 Apr 2017, 15:47

Re: Italian - French Citizen Born in Algeria

Post by SuzanneSap »

Yes,you did understand it the first time! This is so great! Thanks!!

Now, how do I proceed in searching Taranto documentation and, if possible, Military enlistment documentation which should give a great deal of information. Also, does Annunziata's maiden name appear on the discharge.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Italian - French Citizen Born in Algeria

Post by suanj »

the only possible way is to write in Taranto archive, if some archivist can help.. they have the Liste di Leva.
You can write here: as-ta@beniculturali.it
subject: Informazione su Lista di leva
txt:
Gentilissimo Direttore,
mi chiamo Suzanne... ( your surname) e discendo da Allegretti Giovanni italiano emigrato negli USA nel 1924 circa.
Un alone di mistero aleggia sulla storia del mio antenato e con paziente ricerca sono riuscita a ricostruire che era nato il 15 Dicembre 1902 in Algeria da Umberto e Sardi Annunziata.
La famiglia tornò in Italia, e Giovanni dopo la ferma era imbarcato come marinaio, ma disertò e si trattenne negli USA per sempre. Dopo vari procedimenti per accertare il suo sbarco illegale, la questione fu finalmente sanata.
Come dicevo, con paziente ricerca ho ritrovato il Congedo Illimitato, che le invio in allegato alla presente, dove ci sono i suoi dati, per cui affidandomi alla sua sensibilità, chiedo se sia possibile scoprire, dalla Lista di Leva, dove egli fosse residente, dove il suo atto di nascita algerino sia stato trascritto, in quale Comune, se a Taranto o in provincia.
Sarebbe così gentile da guardare gli allegati e cercare una corrispondenza nelle Liste di Leva, forse con il suo aiuto potrei arrivare finalmente a conoscere quale fosse la città dei suoi genitori e dove egli ha vissuto la sua giovinezza.
Spero molto in lei..
La ringrazio e distintamente la saluto,
Suzanne ...........
your full address
--------------------------------------
to attach the Congedo Illimitato and also a picture of your ID card or driver license...
send the email and to wait...
The Archive don't make search, it is no a work of a Archivist, but it would only do so for courtesy...
fingers crossed,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
SuzanneSap
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 26 Apr 2017, 15:47

Re: Italian - French Citizen Born in Algeria

Post by SuzanneSap »

Thank you! It can't hurt to try. Very much appreciate your help.
Post Reply