Dominick Colombo of New Rochelle, NY

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Dominick Colombo of New Rochelle, NY

Post by NYJudi »

I'm back to genealogy. I got discouraged when I was getting no where but now that I'm no longer working I have more time and I'm back full force.

What I do know about my grandfather Dominick Colombo is that he was married to my grandmother Angelina. I know all the names of the children since I was raised with them but they have all passed away now. It's funny that neither side of my family really never said much about the family and I was young and didn't care.

One of the things that I am trying to find out is when my grandfather came over from Italy and from where he was from? I don't think his parents came but not 100 percent sure but I can't find anything on them here in America.

What I do know about my grandfather is his name was Domenico Colombo and he was born in Italy to Matteo and Maria D Vaccaro. His birthday from what I found in my research was
April 26th abt 1872. He died 1/11/1950.

It is also stated in the census is that he came over 1880 and another one census said 1889. Not sure if either one are correct.

My grandfather married in New Rochelle, New York and I gather he was very young when he came. I don't see him coming without family here being that he was so young.

I am also curious to know if he had siblings and if they were here in U.S.? The family was from New Rochelle, NY so I don't see them being far from that area.

My grandfather is the one on that side of the family that I'm having the most problem with doing my research.

I would appreciate any help that anyone could give to me.

Thanks.

Judy Colombo
Geriz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 02:15

Re: Dominick Colombo of New Rochelle, NY

Post by Geriz »

Hi Judy,
According to the 1920 census in New Rochelle N Y if your grandparents had ten children and I have the correct family the census indicates that Angelina arrived first in 1884 and he arrived in 1889 but it doesn't mention where in Italy they came from.
I also have family in New Rochelle and knew many families with the name Colombo and Vaccaro and they all came from the Molise region in Campobasso you might be able to try there.
Also if they married in New Rochelle there is a very good chance they were married at St Josephs Church. It was the church that was known to marry the Italians who lived in town
Good luck
Geri
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Dominick Colombo of New Rochelle, NY

Post by NYJudi »

Hi Geri, Thank you for your reply. I don't think I'll ever know where in Italy he came from or who his family might of been. I know nothing at all about him. I am a member of ancestry.com and went to find him coming to the U.S. and there are so many Domenico Colombo's I have no idea which one he would be if any. I think my only hope is for someone to have known the family and could tell me. I'm going to keep chugging along though.
Geriz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 02:15

Re: Dominick Colombo of New Rochelle, NY

Post by Geriz »

Hi Judi,
One other idea, you could try looking into the records in the commune of Bonefro.
The reason I am suggesting it is because in New Rochelle there was a large community of people who came from Bonefro and both the Colombo and Vaccaros that I personally knew came from there. This group formed a mutual aid society affectionately known as the BUNNY CLUB and there were a good number of members with both the surnames you mentioned.
There are a number of members here on this web site that live in the Abbruzi and Molise region of Italy who could probably be of assistance to you
Geri
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Dominick Colombo of New Rochelle, NY

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Domenico Colomba
INDEX#88
1870 April 26th in the town of Bonefro birth of Domenico Colomba son of Matteo Colomba age 32 farmer (son of Nicola Colomba) and his wife Maria Donata Vaccaro age 29 (daughter of deceased Domenico Vaccaro)

PG LINK TO RECORD CLICK ON IMAGE TO MAGNIFY
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Marriage of Matteo Colomba and Maria Donata Vaccaro
INDEX#6
1858 Jan 23rd in the town of Bonefro marriage of Matteo Colomba age 21 farmer born and resides in Bonefro son of Nicola Columba and Maria Celeste Colomba married Maria Donata Vaccaro age 17 born and resides in Bonefro daughter of Domenico Vaccaro and Antonia Rea

PG LINK TO RECORD CLICK ON IMAGE TO MAGNIFY
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 8.jpg.html


Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Dominick Colombo of New Rochelle, NY

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Maria Donata Vaccaro
INDEX#108
1840 Aug 7th in the town of Bonefro birth of Maria Donata Vaccaro daughter of Domenico Vaccaro age 35 and Antonia Rea age 35 she was baptized in the church of San Maria delle Rosa

PG LINK TO RECORD CLICK ON IMAGE TO MAGNIFY
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Birth record of Matteo Colomba
INDEX#32
1836 Mar 11th in the town of Bonefro birth of Matteo Colomba son of Nicola Colomba age 21 farmer and Maria Celeste Colomba age 23 he was baptized in the church of San Maria delle Rosa

PG LINK TO RECORD CLICK ON IMAGE TO MAGNIFY
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Dominick Colombo of New Rochelle, NY

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Nicola Antonio Colomba and Maria Celeste Colomba
Index#2
1834 Jan 2nd in the town of Bonefro marriage of Nicola Antonio Colomba age 19 farmer born and resides in Bonefro son of Matteo Colomba and Marianna Ciampanelli married Maria Celeste Colomba age 21 born and resides in Bonefro daughter of deceased Giovanni Colomba and Giuseppina Rinaldi
They were married in the church of S. Maria delle Rosa

P)G LINK TO RECORD CLICK ON IMAGE TO MAGNIFY
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Dominick Colombo of New Rochelle, NY

Post by NYJudi »

Thanks for researching further, Marty. It opened up some others that were researching my family. The only thing is that they don't have my grandfathers Matteo (married to Maria Donata Vaccaro) name on being a child of Matteo and Maria. As the children of Matteo Colombo and Maria Donata, they have Maria Colombo abt 11/3/1858, Maria Antonia Colombo 12/28/1862, Maria Nicola Colombo 12/12/1865. I did put them all down on my Ancestry family tree but is it possible that they named all 3 daughters with the first name Maria? I was wondering if you ever heard of that? I also added my grandfather as their sibling I'm sure there had to be other brothers as the Colombo's had many children. I may have to take the sibblings off but they seem to fit, but the 3 Maria names I'm not sure of.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Dominick Colombo of New Rochelle, NY

Post by adelfio »

They are all different Maria's and they are all daughters of Matteo Colombo and Maria Donata probally named after Santa Maria delle Grazie in Bonefro
Maria, Mariantonia, and Maria Nicola Colomba

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Post Reply