Two wives

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
GrowlyGirl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: 29 Jun 2016, 18:45

Two wives

Post by GrowlyGirl »

I requested my maternal grandfather’s birth certificate hoping to clear up the question of who his mother was. It seems my great grandfather was married twice. I had been corresponding with my cousin who did some searching in Tunis – our grandparents had emigrated there from Sicily. He made a copy of a page from the “Livret de Famille” which shows my grandfather’s mother to be Octavie Dupuy and made some notes including the name of the other wife, Orazia Scucces. I requested our grandfather’s birth certificate from Sicily, and that shows the opposite – that his mother was Orazia Scucces. Which do I believe? I would assume the actual birth certificate. My cousin supposes that the first wife must have died and our great grandfather remarried. Would the second wife have been listed as my grandfather’s ‘mother’ in the Livret de Famille because she was his step mother and his biological mother no longer living?
My cousin was born and raised in Tunis, so he is a native French speaker. I have no reason to question his comprehension of those documents in French. (The French also French-ified everyone’s first name.) Should I next request marriage documents from Sicily for my great grandfather to sort this out?
Nancy
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Two wives

Post by Tessa78 »

The legal record is the birth act from Sicily.

T.
Post Reply