Hello! I've managed to do what I thought was impossible, locate my great grandfather's birth certificate among the microfiche archives for Capannori, Italy (Province of Lucca).
I've hit a dead end there however.
Great grandfather (per cert) Giovanni Luigi Annibale Biagi Nov 22, 1896
His parents ages aren't listed in the registry. They're listed as living in Badia di Cantignano, which is around the old abbey between Lucca & Vorno.
(http://www.badiadicantignano.it/BdC_corpo_bdc.html)
Father: Michele Biagi, farmer (no age listed. It said something like "Michele fu Luigi Biagi" it looked like, does mean he's the child of the late Luigi?)
Mother: Cesira Pelosi (no age listed)
Link to that birth record: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043811
From family notes I have the following additional:
Father: Michele Biagi Vorno, Italy b1856-d1912 - note Vorno is just south of Lucca, not Livorno
Mother: Cesira Pelosi Livorno, Italy b1855-d1929
Children Sex Birth
Guiseppe Biagi M 13 Aug 1880 in Lucca, Italy
Pia Biagi F 6 Feb 1882 in Lucca, Italy
Annetta Biagi F 10 Jun 1886
Assunta Biagi F 1888
Teresa Biagi F 1891 in Lucca, Italy
Ugo Biagi M 15 Feb 1894
Annibale Biagi M 22 Nov 1896 in Lucca, Italy
Emma Biagi F 1901 in Lucca, Italy
I have a few questions.
1)I can't find archives for Vorno for those dates. I know Capannoi at that time along with Lucca were in Firenze. But I have no idea about Vorno? anyone know where to find birth records for Vorno around that time? I'm willing to bet Cesira Pelosi's record should be Vorno not Livorno as well.
2)I am preparing to request a birth certificate for my great grandfather Giovanni. My issue is, I have the address but no idea whether I should attach a letter in addition to the standard form and
a. how much money to attach, and in what form (money order?)
b. I can't write italian - anyone have some idea what a letter would say?
I thought about putting this in an email to Capannori's civil registrar, but..I don't write italian well enough to do that sadly.
If anyone has family trees that meet with this, or some advice it would be much appreciated! Thanks very much,
Alice Weintraut (mom is a Anna Maria Biagi -> Hugh Annibale Biagi -> Giovanni Annibale Biagi)
Michele Biagi, Cesira Pelosi, Giovanni Luigi Annibale Biagi
Michele Biagi, Cesira Pelosi, Giovanni Luigi Annibale Biagi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Re: Michele Biagi, Cesira Pelosi, Giovanni Luigi Annibale Biagi
I checked some of the people you mentioned, and they were born in Capannori, not Lucca.
Vorno itself is just a hamlet of Capannori, so you'll find civil records for Vorno in Capannori.
Vorno itself is just a hamlet of Capannori, so you'll find civil records for Vorno in Capannori.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Michele Biagi, Cesira Pelosi, Giovanni Luigi Annibale Biagi
This is the marriage record of Michele and Cesira, on Nov 8th, 1879:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043811
He was 22, so born abt 1857, and she was 23.
It seems she was actually born in Livorno.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043811
He was 22, so born abt 1857, and she was 23.
It seems she was actually born in Livorno.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Michele Biagi, Cesira Pelosi, Giovanni Luigi Annibale Biagi
This is their requst for banns:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043811
Michele was 21, peasant, born in Vorno, son of Luigi (67 yo) and of deceased Camilla Bertolli
Cesira was 23, living in Badia Cantignano, daughter of deceased Antonio and living Rosa Sentena (sp?)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043811
Michele was 21, peasant, born in Vorno, son of Luigi (67 yo) and of deceased Camilla Bertolli
Cesira was 23, living in Badia Cantignano, daughter of deceased Antonio and living Rosa Sentena (sp?)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Michele Biagi, Cesira Pelosi, Giovanni Luigi Annibale Biagi
If you look carefully into here:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043811
You might find the "attachments", i.e. the birth certificates of the spouses; but I'm afraid you'll have to go thru them one by one.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043811
You might find the "attachments", i.e. the birth certificates of the spouses; but I'm afraid you'll have to go thru them one by one.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Michele Biagi, Cesira Pelosi, Giovanni Luigi Annibale Biagi
Oh my goodness, this is is incredible, thank you! I will share it with our wider family as well, I cannot thank you enough!
I have a quandry now. I have mailed the request for a copy of Giovanni's birth certificate to Capannori. It took a few weeks, and I received an email response that I all requests now had to include a self-addressed stamped envelope. Of course I cannot purchase italian postage in the US, so I mailed the request again this time with two sizes of self-addressed envelopes and 15 euros with a letter requesting that it be used for postage.
After a month I have received a second response, that they are placing the euros in the return envelope and that I should either mail them postage or have a relative drop it off.
I'm at wits end trying to locate someone I know in Italy who could just buy $2-5 of postage and mail it to the commune Attn: For Alice Weintraut, Birth certificate postage for Giovanni Biagi. I've thought of sending a Fedex envelope for $80 where you tear it off and return it, but am afraid I'll get a response that they have no way to have it picked up!
Any advice? I've tried calling DHL, a store around the corner, the comune (sadly no one was available who spoke english and I have MUCH work to do speaking italian).
Open to any and all suggestions!
I have a quandry now. I have mailed the request for a copy of Giovanni's birth certificate to Capannori. It took a few weeks, and I received an email response that I all requests now had to include a self-addressed stamped envelope. Of course I cannot purchase italian postage in the US, so I mailed the request again this time with two sizes of self-addressed envelopes and 15 euros with a letter requesting that it be used for postage.
After a month I have received a second response, that they are placing the euros in the return envelope and that I should either mail them postage or have a relative drop it off.
I'm at wits end trying to locate someone I know in Italy who could just buy $2-5 of postage and mail it to the commune Attn: For Alice Weintraut, Birth certificate postage for Giovanni Biagi. I've thought of sending a Fedex envelope for $80 where you tear it off and return it, but am afraid I'll get a response that they have no way to have it picked up!
Any advice? I've tried calling DHL, a store around the corner, the comune (sadly no one was available who spoke english and I have MUCH work to do speaking italian).
Open to any and all suggestions!
Re: Michele Biagi, Cesira Pelosi, Giovanni Luigi Annibale Biagi
Call DHL in your town...
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Michele Biagi, Cesira Pelosi, Giovanni Luigi Annibale Biagi
Hello!
Have you solved the issue?
Have you solved the issue?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

