Census Discrepancy - Need alternate Plan

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
lukelombardo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 08 Mar 2017, 02:20

Census Discrepancy - Need alternate Plan

Post by lukelombardo »

Ciao a tutti!

Thanks to all those that have helped me here in the past - I'm almost ready with all my paperwork. I'm applying GFF-GF-G - and I'm just about there but, I have run afoul of the US Census records. I would love some advice from the group on how to best proceed particularly if you have had any experience with a similar issue:

I have my NARA, USCIS, and local County Court letters of non-naturalization/no-record for my GGF. However, my GF was born in 1906 - so I'm assuming I am going to need a 1910 Census that shows my GGF's alien status in order to prove no-naturalization occurred. I have searched high and low - found one record in a place that I don't believe my ancestors lived, although it's not too far. That record has some of the family members, but no accurate dates. It also shows the head of household GGF as "naturalized". I'm hoping this is not the right record and if so - incorrect. My GGF died in 1916 - I do have one Certified Census after his death that shows his wife (remarried name) and my GF both as "aliens." I doubt it's accurate because my GF was born in the US so he would not be an alien. However, with my grandmother noted as an "Alien" and he as well, might this work to accompany the three letters of no-record for my GGF for the LA Consulate? My GGF is not listed on that 1920 census. I do have the marriage license for my grandmother's second marriage as well to prove she did remarry after his death. Any suggestions?


I'm applying at the LA Consulate in May 2018. Thanks!

Luke Lombardo
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Census Discrepancy - Need alternate Plan

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
What his name?


Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
lukelombardo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 08 Mar 2017, 02:20

Re: Census Discrepancy - Need alternate Plan

Post by lukelombardo »

Marty,

Thank you!

His name is Michele Arcangelo Lombardo.

DOB 01/08/1867
datxcali
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 100
Joined: 09 Mar 2017, 08:41

Re: Census Discrepancy - Need alternate Plan

Post by datxcali »

Hello.

I think I found it: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1727033

The age of Michele is way off, but the location is similar to his 1900 census. He also has a son named John that was born around 1907 and 4 older children that match up (chronologically and by gender, if not by name) with your ancestor's (John) older siblings.

However, the issue is that it appears that he reported himself as being naturalized.
lukelombardo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 08 Mar 2017, 02:20

Re: Census Discrepancy - Need alternate Plan

Post by lukelombardo »

Thank you! Yes. That's the challenge. I'm hoping i can use the 1920 census..since this is full of errors, and I am not sure of the naturalization status.
datxcali
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 100
Joined: 09 Mar 2017, 08:41

Re: Census Discrepancy - Need alternate Plan

Post by datxcali »

Ah, it looks like my reading comprehension was off here. :D

It looks like you don't have any other choice. If he did naturalize before 1910, you wouldn't be eligible even if he did so after your GF was born (due to the 1912 rule). So the only thing you can really do is present the 1920 census and hope for the best.
Caroline01
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 20 Jun 2017, 13:27
Contact:

Re: Census Discrepancy - Need alternate Plan

Post by Caroline01 »

hello guys i am new here plz give me several topic ideas
Post Reply