Canadian living in Germany applying for Italian citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
t_decicco
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 21:27

Canadian living in Germany applying for Italian citizenship

Post by t_decicco »

Yep you read that correctly ^^ anyways,

I will be applying for my citizenship (through my grandparents) in Cologne since that is the closest Italian consulate to me. I will have to show a copy of my German residence permit since I'm a non-EU citizen, but they also want a document showing that my grandparents never gave up their Italian. They did become Canadian in 1977 but no one in my family knows for sure if they gave up their italian citizenship. I'm pretty sure they didn't since Canada allows dual citizenship, but how on earth do I prove that?
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Canadian living in Germany applying for Italian citizenship

Post by mler »

Actually, according to Italian law at the time (before 1992), naturalization automatically resulted in the loss of Italian citizenship, Canadian law notwithstanding. However, this loss of citizenship may not affect your eligibility if it occurred after your parent was born, and given the dates, this seems likely.

So really, all you need do is present them with your grandparent's naturalization papers. These documents demonstrate that they lost Italian citizenship in 1977 but held Italian citizenship before that date and, thus, could pass citizenship to their children.
t_decicco
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 21:27

Re: Canadian living in Germany applying for Italian citizenship

Post by t_decicco »

Ok thank you. My father was born 1967 in Canada and like I said his parents became Canadians in 1977 so I should still be ok.
Post Reply