Unknown word

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
ccc1002
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 04 Aug 2017, 18:16

Unknown word

Post by ccc1002 »

I have a word in a Montebruno, Genoa, death record I cannot find a suitable translation. Could it possibly mean 'of' or 'from' since it is referencing a deceased person's profession? I have attached a copy of the word from the record.
Appreciate the help.
Attachments
Italian word.png
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Unknown word

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

The word is "gia" (already, before) and in the context of this record it basically means "formerly" or "had been" a farmer.

Angela
ccc1002
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 04 Aug 2017, 18:16

Re: Unknown word

Post by ccc1002 »

Thank you. Very appreciated!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Unknown word

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Very happy to help. Welcome to the forum!

Angela
Post Reply