Searching for Valente family of San Biagio Saracinisco

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
cammianne
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 24 Aug 2017, 19:11

Searching for Valente family of San Biagio Saracinisco

Post by cammianne »

Would appreciate any help at all, or to find more relatives!

My grandmother was Dorothy Anna Marie Catherine Valente, born 1914 in Detroit.

Her parents were Camillo Valente (b. 1883 in San Biagio d.1960 in California) and Francesca Persichini (b. 1893 d. 1918 in Detroit, MI). His parents, I believe, were Pasquale Valente (b. 1859 in Italy, d. in Tulare, CA.) and Lucia Marsella/Marzella/Marcella (b.1856 in Cervinara, Italy).

Francesca's parents were Alexander Persichini (b. 1860 in Caserta, Italy d. 1931 in Michigan) and Mary Palma DiCicco (b. 1867 in Valleluce, Italy d. 1946 in Detroit, MI).

I'm currently living in southern Italy and plan on taking a little trip this weekend to San Biagio Saracinisco to take some pictures to share with family. I would definitely like to take trips to some of these other areas once I have some additional information/confirmation to the facts.
User avatar
Italysearcher
Master
Master
Posts: 3470
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
Location: Sora, Italy
Contact:

Re: Searching for Valente family of San Biagio Saracinisco

Post by Italysearcher »

Very few civil records for this area survived WW2, finding relatives may be difficult.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
cammianne
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 24 Aug 2017, 19:11

Re: Searching for Valente family of San Biagio Saracinisco

Post by cammianne »

Thanks! I drove there today and walked around the town. I didn't attempt to speak to anyone (I don't speak Italian), but I plan on going back with someone who can translate for me. I will then try to chat with some people. There are still some Valente's living there, so hopefully, someone will be able to help.
Matthewvalente
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 23 Feb 2018, 12:00

Re: Searching for Valente family of San Biagio Saracinisco

Post by Matthewvalente »

Hey Cammianne-

I am planning a trip to italy this spring. I’ll be heading to San Biagio & Cassino, where my great grandfather Carmin Valente was from. His father was Dominico Valente. Dominico & Pasquale were brothers. Their parents were Antonio Valente & Antonia Donatella. They lived in San Biagio and had 4 kids: Maria, Francesca, Pasquale, Dominico.

My Great grandfather Dominico moved to Cassino in 1890. He had 7 kids. 3 of his sons (Carmin, Alfred, Emil) immigrated to Detroit between 1909 snd 1920. There are many Valente’s in Detroit to this day.

Your distant grandfather, Pasquale Valente, wad a few years older than Dominico. Pasquale had 8 children, and ended up immigrating to Detroit in 1908. After a few years he moved his family (along with his grown children (Camillo being one of them), to Earlimart California to farm. My great grandfather Carmin moved his family (wife Lucy Rossi, and infant son Virgil Valente) to Earlimart in 1921 to try out farming. After less than a year they decided to move back to Detroit.

After doing much research, I think that Carmin must have been close with his Uncle Pasquale. They all immigrated to Detroit around the same time, lived within a mile of each other there, and Carmin followed him to California in 1921.

I am interested in what you may have uncovered during your time in Italy. Are you still there? Hopefully we can compare notes. Matt
persichini
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 04:24

Re: Searching for Valente family of San Biagio Saracinisco

Post by persichini »

cammianne wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 19:29 Would appreciate any help at all, or to find more relatives!

My grandmother was Dorothy Anna Marie Catherine Valente, born 1914 in Detroit.

Her parents were Camillo Valente (b. 1883 in San Biagio d.1960 in California) and Francesca Persichini (b. 1893 d. 1918 in Detroit, MI). His parents, I believe, were Pasquale Valente (b. 1859 in Italy, d. in Tulare, CA.) and Lucia Marsella/Marzella/Marcella (b.1856 in Cervinara, Italy).

Francesca's parents were Alexander Persichini (b. 1860 in Caserta, Italy d. 1931 in Michigan) and Mary Palma DiCicco (b. 1867 in Valleluce, Italy d. 1946 in Detroit, MI).

I'm currently living in southern Italy and plan on taking a little trip this weekend to San Biagio Saracinisco to take some pictures to share with family. I would definitely like to take trips to some of these other areas once I have some additional information/confirmation to the facts.
Cammianne- My great grandfather was Angelo Persichino, Francesca’s youngest brother.

In 2012 I visited Valleluce. It was a side trip on my honeymoon, and totally unplanned. (Had I planned my visit in advance, I would have asked better questions!)

In Valleluce I met Sabatino DiCicco, who I believe was Angelo and Francesca’s cousin. He was in his 80s. I also met his daughter Angelantonia. She has recently passed away, but I am told Sabatino is still alive. He is the town historian, and has written a book about its history. I am trying to reach him again to ask more questions about Alexander and Mary Palma.

I would love to know if you have learned anything more about them!

Jason
cammianne
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 24 Aug 2017, 19:11

Re: Searching for Valente family of San Biagio Saracinisco

Post by cammianne »

Hi Jason!

Just finished sending you an email. Let's keep in contact!!

That's great that you got to meet some relatives. Do you speak Italian? You had stated you met Sabatino and I would assume by his age that he wouldn't have spoken English, LOL. That's the greatest barrier for me. It's frustrating, too, since I'm right here!!! LOL, unfortunately, I haven't picked up much Italian since we've been here.

At least the info you've provided above gives me something else to research!

Hope to hear from you soon!
Cammi
Post Reply