Giovanni Cesare Antonio Raga from Baio? Borgofranco d'Ivrea

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
Shannykinz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 Aug 2017, 07:35

Giovanni Cesare Antonio Raga from Baio? Borgofranco d'Ivrea

Post by Shannykinz »

Hello friendly internet helpers!

I am trying desperately to locate my GGF's birth certificate but have limited information about him. From what I can see, he immigrated to Cumberland Canada in/around 1903. He married Pierina Sandriolo (also an Italian immigrant) on 2nd May 1908 in Cumberland Canada and has his age listed as 23. His wedding certificate has his place of birth as Baio, Torrea- Provence of Torino. His parents are listed as Georgio Raga and Maria Torio.

He "Canadianised" his name to John and that is how I knew of him growing up. Sadly he passed away in 1963 which was 15 years before I was born and anyone attached to him has long since passed away.

I have a possible discrepancy on his birth year as his birthday was listed on his death certificate as 12 Jan 1886 but that would of put him at the age of 22 when married.

I am finding it a bit frustrating as the only information I have are from his wedding certificate and his death certificate so any leads or even hints as to how I would go about obtaining his birth certificate would be greatly appreciated!
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Giovanni Cesare Antonio Raga from Baio? Borgofranco d'Ivrea

Post by mmogno »

Shannykinz wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 08:24 .. His wedding certificate has his place of birth as Baio, Ivrea- Provence of Torino. His parents are listed as Giorgio Raga and Maria Iorio.
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/piemon ... odora.html
The village of Baio Dora belongs to the municipality of Borgofranco d'Ivrea, in the province of Torino, region Piemonte.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
Shannykinz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 Aug 2017, 07:35

Re: Giovanni Cesare Antonio Raga from Baio? Borgofranco d'Ivrea

Post by Shannykinz »

mmogno wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 10:13
Shannykinz wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 08:24 .. His wedding certificate has his place of birth as Baio, Ivrea- Provence of Torino. His parents are listed as Giorgio Raga and Maria Iorio.
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/piemon ... odora.html
The village of Baio Dora belongs to the municipality of Borgofranco d'Ivrea, in the province of Torino, region Piemonte.
Thank you mmogno I did realise the spelling error after I posted but couldnt work out how to edit my post :) I have linked the marriage certificate and was having distinguishing the Ts from the Is
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Giovanni Cesare Antonio Raga from Baio? Borgofranco d'Ivrea

Post by adelfio »

His wife had a double name born in Colleretto Castelnuovo
Birth record of Pierina Francesca Maddio Sandriolo
INDEX#19
1886 Aug 26th in the town of Colleretto Castelnuovo birth of Pierina Francesca Maddio Sandriolo daughter of Domenico Maddio Sandriolo age 34 farmer and Giovanna Sassoe (daughter of deceased Giacomo)
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1475996

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Giovanni Cesare Antonio Raga from Baio? Borgofranco d'Ivrea

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Giovanni Cesare Antonio Raga
INDEX#1
1885 Jan 12nd in the town of Baio Dora in a house on via Pompa birth of Giovanni Cesare Antonio Raga son of Giorgio Raga (son of Giovanni Raga) age 22 farmer and his wife Maria Florio

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1475996

1884 Jan 24th in the town of Baio Dora from the marriage allegati of Giorgio Raga born in Baio Dora son of Giovanni Raga and Caterina Gamba married to Maria Florio born in Lessolo daughter of Antonio Florio and Maria Turino

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1497702

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Shannykinz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 Aug 2017, 07:35

Re: Giovanni Cesare Antonio Raga from Baio? Borgofranco d'Ivrea

Post by Shannykinz »

Wow. Just Wow Marty thank you so very much!! I am absolute awe right now and have shivvers. I cannot thank you enough for finding this for me. I am totally blown away. Now to contact someone for actual copies
Thank you again from the bottom of my heart
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Giovanni Cesare Antonio Raga from Baio? Borgofranco d'Ivrea

Post by adelfio »

Your welcome
Are you trying for dual citizenship?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Shannykinz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 Aug 2017, 07:35

Re: Giovanni Cesare Antonio Raga from Baio? Borgofranco d'Ivrea

Post by Shannykinz »

I am yes and its seeming very complicated so any help what so ever would be very appreciated lol. Mine is extra complicated as I am a dual Canadian-Australian already. From what ive found my GGF never naturalised in Canada until 5 years after my grandfather was born. My sister will be doing things for herself from Canada
Post Reply