Italian Roots Help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

Hello,

I'm new here and I need some help with a part of my family tree. I have been working on it off and on for the past ten years and I've always seemed to have trouble locating family past certain people on my Italian side. I have first-hand information from my grandmother and it doesn't seem to be enough. Familysearch, Ellis Island and other Italian archive sites don't seem to be enough, either as they don't seem to have any information from San Pietro a Maida or Gesualdo.

I am looking for information on the parents of Vincenzo Ferraiolo (5/2/1894-1970). I know he was born in San Pietro a Maida, Catanzaro, Calabria, Italy. I haven’t had much luck finding out anything past that. I know he died in Haverhill, Massachusetts and came over to the US in the 1920s. I am also looking for information on the Tedescos, Spanos,DeFrancescos, Dragones, Santamarias, Dentes, Capobiancos and Renaldos.

I’ve had a little bit better luck on the Carrabs side thanks to my grandmother. But, I have hit a roadblock when it comes to finding the genealogy of the Forgione family past Clementina Forgione who lived 11 Aug 1884 - 15 Jan 1965 and was born in Avellino, Avellino, Campania, Italy. I just have the last names of Forgione and Penta on her side.

It’s really been frustrating as I have a ton of information on the other side of the family. Can someone help me figure out what I need to do?

Thanks in advance!
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by adelfio »

Hi heres some info
Birth record of Clementina Forgione
INDEX #96
1884 Aug 12th in the town of Gesualdo province of Avellino birth of Clementina Forgione daughter of Felice Forgione age 28 farmer and his wife Luigia Penta

Sidenote says married Giuseppe Carrabs (son of Vincenzo) 1905 Mar 11th


CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

Thanks! Do you have a link I can use? I guess I could estimate his date of birth from the record. Thank you!

Oh and is there anything else about the Forgiones we can find? It seems if I calculate it, he was born in 1855.
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by mmogno »

Do you know this site?
http://88.59.143.158/asav_web/index.faces

You can open a free account and search the Forgiones....
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

No, but I can check it out. Thanks!

Huh. Can't seem to find anything at the moment. Will check it out more.
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

Update: The Felice Forgiones I found in Portale della Storia didn't match up with the file adelfio gave me. The ones they gave me were of a 16 yr old and another who was way too old to be this Felice.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by adelfio »

The marriage publication of Felice Forgione and Luigia Penta

INDEX#5 (Part 2 in marriage publication Gesualdo)

1883 Oct 25th in the town of Grottaminarda marriage of Felice Forgione farmer born in Gesualdo son of deceased Clemente Forgione and Maria Rosa Caputo married to Maria Luigia Penta farmer born in Grottaminarda daughter of deceased Pasquale Penta and Vincenza Vacca

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043434

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043434

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

Thanks! I hope I get to find more info. Thanks a lot! Gonna see if I can find info on those four you listed. But, any help would be great.
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

I think I hit a bit of a snag. For Maria Luigia Penta, the parents are Pasquale Penta and Vincenza Vacca, right?

This is all based on this source:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043434

And this one:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043434

The weird thing is that on FS Vincenzo's last name is Vaccaro and Penta is Di Penta. I hope these are the same people. I put in the names for Penta and Forgione's parents and got those people. Things match up, but, I am not sure they are the same. No sources to verify them.
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

Can someone be so kind as to translate the documents I posted? My Italian isn't that great.
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

I ask because someone translated Vacca and said Nacca. So now I am confused.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by adelfio »

Cferra wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 20:21 I ask because someone translated Vacca and said Nacca. So now I am confused.
It's looks like it is Vincenzo Nacca I looked again and it's a N if you look on the record the V in Vincenzo is different writing

Sorry

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

That's okay! =) Thanks for your help! Do you have access to Gesualdo genie on ancestry? I think I have found the marriage of Caputo and Forgione. But, I can't get to it. Paywall.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by adelfio »

I looked at the Gesualdogenie tree on ancestry heres the link its kinda all over the place show me the marriage record
https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/tr ... 613/family

Heres the links to what I have so far

Birth record of Clementina Forgione
INDEX #96
1884 Aug 12th in the town of Gesualdo province of Avellino birth of Clementina Forgione daughter of Felice Forgione age 28 farmer and his wife Luigia Penta

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=409722

INDEX#5
1905 Mar 11th in the town of Gesualdo province of Avellino marriage of Giuseppe Carrabs age 23 farmer born and resides in Gesualdo son of Vincenzo Carrabs and Giovanna Capobianco married Clementina Forgione age 21 farmer born and resides in Gesualdo daughter of deceased Felice Forgione and Maria Luigia Penta

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043434

The marriage publication of Felice Forgione and Luigia Penta
INDEX#5 (Part 2 in marriage publication Gesualdo)

1883 Oct 25th in the town of Grottaminarda marriage of Felice Forgione farmer born in Gesualdo son of deceased Clemente Forgione and Maria Rosa Caputo married to Maria Luigia Penta farmer born in Grottaminarda daughter of deceased Pasquale Penta and Vincenza Nacca

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043434

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043434

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by adelfio »

Death record of Felice Forgione (father of Clementina)
INDEX#20
1902 Feb 25 in the town of Gesualdo province of Avellino death of Felice Forgione age 42 farmer born in Gesualdo son of deceased Clemente Forgione and Maria Rosa Caputo he was married to Maria Luigia Penta

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043434

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Post Reply