Help locating a birth record

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
rpasserini
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 15 Aug 2017, 04:56

Help locating a birth record

Post by rpasserini »

Hello all,

I'm trying to find out anything I can about the birth of my great-grandfather, Pasquale Passerini. According to his immigration paperwork, he was born on 17 August 1895 in Elena, Italy. I did the research and found out that it was later incorporated into Gaeta. I had the vital records office in Gaeta look him up, but they could find no record of a Pasquale Passerini being born in 1894-1896. Just to be sure they had the records from Elena, I had them look up my great-grandmother who was also from Elena, and I got her birth records from Gaeta.

Information I do know (and have the images for):

Birth: 17 August 1895
Left from Naples on the SS Canopic
Arrived in Boston: 12 December 1912

Given that Gaeta has no record of him, does anyone have any suggestions for next steps?

Thanks so much!
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5841
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Help locating a birth record

Post by PippoM »

Do you know where they were married?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
rpasserini
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 15 Aug 2017, 04:56

Re: Help locating a birth record

Post by rpasserini »

Yes, they were married here in Boston.
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Help locating a birth record

Post by mmogno »

You may ask if there is the act of baptism of Pasquale in the diocesan archives of Gaeta:
http://www.arcidiocesigaeta.it/pls/gaet ... _pagina=54

Per informazioni di archivio contattare:
d.ssa Vincenza CIARLONE
tel. 339.5369889
email: vincenza.ciarlone@alice.it
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
rpasserini
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 15 Aug 2017, 04:56

Re: Help locating a birth record

Post by rpasserini »

mmogno wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 23:37 You may ask if there is the act of baptism of Pasquale in the diocesan archives of Gaeta:
http://www.arcidiocesigaeta.it/pls/gaet ... _pagina=54

Per informazioni di archivio contattare:
d.ssa Vincenza CIARLONE
tel. 339.5369889
email: vincenza.ciarlone@alice.it
Thanks, I'll give that a try!
rpasserini
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 15 Aug 2017, 04:56

Re: Help locating a birth record

Post by rpasserini »

I have made some progress on this! I found the ship's passenger manifest for his arrival, and it gives his birth place as "Sessa A<something>" I'm thinking this could be Sessa Aurunica. I've attached the page, he's on line 13. Can anyone else make out the birth comune?
Attachments
Canopic Passenger Manifest
Canopic Passenger Manifest
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Help locating a birth record

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes, I believe it states "Sessa Aurunca" (Caserta Province, Campania Region)

It also states that he leaves behind his father, Pietro :-)
AND.. there is a notation for a naturalization in 1939. Do you have his naturalization records?

The only online records I am finding - Marriages 1925-29, and Deaths 1923-24, 1929.
I also DO NOT find the surname Passerini/Passarini in Sessa Aurunca :-(

EDIT TO ADD***

From an earlier thread regarding Elena :-)
Re: Elena in or near Caserta

Post by vj » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:16 pm
I'm pretty sure this is correct:
the suburb of Elena (formerly Borgo di Gaeta) province of Caserta
is now part of Gaeta, province of Latina

1911 Encycolpedia
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/G ... 1911*.html
T.
Post Reply