Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
While I may have gone about it backwards (I've received all documentation except that from Italy), I'm down to the last three documents - I hope! I need to request both birth certificates and the marriage certificate for my husband's maternal great grandparents from Talamello. I have birthdates and a marriage month and year and I have the contact information for the Comune. And now I'm hoping that I can receive some advice/suggestions/encouragement/information from here on the process of obtaining documentation. Should I send an email request and then follow it up with my written request via mail? Would that be helpful to the Comune by giving them a 'heads up' or a waste of time? (I still need to work on writing my request in Italian...) Any idea as to the time frame I should expect from request to receipt of documents?
Anything else I should know about the request process?
Thank you so much! I'm very excited about the prospect of us obtaining citizenship Jure sanguinis - I'll just need to fill my husband in on his family since I now know more than he ever has!