Can I piggyback off of father's jus sanguinis citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
Antonelli
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 13 Oct 2017, 11:02

Can I piggyback off of father's jus sanguinis citizenship?

Post by Antonelli »

Hello,
My dad (and sister) claimed Italian citizenship ius sanguinis in Boston almost 10 years ago. I was not living in Mass so I could not do it there. My dad has since passed away. Before that, he gave me a certificate of his citizenship, my birth certificate in Italian with apostille (which I guess he "registered" at Boston consulate), and a copy of his Italian passport which expires in 2018. My parents are divorced. Unfortunately since my dad passed I am estranged from my mother and sister so can't get anything from them, including the original documentation my sister used.

I live in Michigan. The Detroit consulate website says "Residents of Michigan whose family members have obtained the recognition of the Italian citizenship at a different Consulate or in Italy, must submit at this Office all original documentation from the Italian ancestor."

My question is, does anyone know if this rule includes parents or maybe just siblings and other relatives? Of course the consulate is too busy to answer my question. I was hoping that with proof that my dad is/or at least died a citizen that I would have a shortcut here.

Any thoughts or ideas welcomed!!
Post Reply