I am living in Italy now, but before moving I started my dual citizenship application at the Consulate in London.
Briefly, I took all my documents as and how requested and was told that my application was denied because my mother automatically lost her Italian citizenship, when she married my English father in 1947. I was told that it was a mistake made by one of their bureaucrats, that she had an Italian passport!!
I wasn't given much help as to how to remedy this, but have done a bucket load of research since.
Tried again here in Puglia. Did not expect the conclusion to be any different, but hoped that the comune could guide me in the right direction.
Here is where I explain that this should not have been a difficult task!!
My mother has a flat in Italy, inherited from her mother, in the town where she lived, in Veneto. At the comune she is down as an Italian citizen, living abroad. She has had the right to vote in Italy, has both an Italian and British passport etc etc. I have a certificate (sorry cannot remember its name) which states she is an Italian citizen!!
All this I presented to the comune, but was told I would need to have the proof of this - it had to be written as an annotation in the births register. When they (and I, as I thought I would need it) sent for the estratto di nascita, we found that the information had not been added.
I know that Mum came over to Italy in the 1980's to reaquire her Italian citizenship. She lived in Trieste. I have a copy of a questura. I have read that she either had to make a declaration or live in Italy for a year.
Please! Sixteen months this has dragged on for. Where oh where do I find this proof?!
I do begrudge going through the courts when Mum's Italian citizenship was reaquired
Sorry for the ramble.

