Document discrepancies - iure sanguinis

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
Maire.
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 07 Oct 2017, 03:49

Document discrepancies - iure sanguinis

Post by Maire. »

Hey all!

I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for within previous posts on this forum so I'm hoping someone can help me.

I am attempting to gather the documents necessary to apply for Italian citizenship through my father who was an Italian citizen his entire life. He moved to Canada in the 60s and has been a permanent resident here most of his life but never naturalised.

I have just recently received his birth certificate from Italy which contains a middle name which is not found on either his Italian passport or Canadian ID. That being said, his birth place on the BC is listed as a different place than on his passport and other ID.

I'm just wondering if it's possible that the embassy would accept the birth certificate as is, even though it doesn't perfectly match the other identification or how I can rectify the situation if necessary?

Birth parents & date of birth match on all documents it's just the birth place and middle name that differ between documents.

Thanks for your help x :)
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Document discrepancies - iure sanguinis

Post by mler »

Is your father still living? If so, he can register in AIRE (which, actually, as an Italian citizen, he should have done already).

If your father is no longer living, do check to see if he was registered in AIRE and if he registered your birth. That would take care of everything. If he didn't register, I would suggest going with what you have. If they require more, they will tell you.

BTW, if you have his Italian passport, it will help tremendously.
Maire.
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 07 Oct 2017, 03:49

Re: Document discrepancies - iure sanguinis

Post by Maire. »

He isn't living no. I have his Italian passport but no, he never registered me (or any of my siblings) in AIRE. His passport has his place of birth as his last residence in Italy whereas his birth certificate says a different town, in a different province which originally was where my confusion was. I will go with what I have, hopefully it's enough.

Thanks for your help
Post Reply