Copy of Birth Certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
claudiawel
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 20:21

Copy of Birth Certificate

Post by claudiawel »

I was born in 1960 in Rome, Italy to Italian parents. I moved to New York in 1962. My father naturalized in the USA in 1962 and my mother in 1970. . Anyway, I'm applying for Italian citizenship through 'gave it up' and 'want it back' status. I understand that I have to live in Italy for 1 year to get the citizenship. Ok. The NY Embassy wants me to show my naturalization papers. But I was never naturalized, I automatically became a citizen when my mother did in 1970. (At least this is my understanding). Ok, the US wants $1100 from me to get a copy of my "Certificate of Citizenship". Wow. I spoke to a Patronati person in Connecticut and he sad I don't need the certificate I can show a passport. This is not what NY told me. They specifically said a passport and naturalization papers. The Patronati person also told me I didn't have to live in Italy to get my citizenship. But he did say I had to show an updated birth certificate. My birth certificate is hand written and doesn't include my parents' names. He told me to write to the Comune in Rome. There seems to being many Comune locations in Rome. How do I know which one to write to? Can I simply fax them? Is there a fee? Will it take a year to get? This process is so complicated and confusing. My brother in law got his Irish citizenship in 3 months!
Post Reply