Latin church record - marriage 1746

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
sertolicell
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 57
Joined: 19 May 2015, 10:40

Latin church record - marriage 1746

Post by sertolicell »

Hi,
I am struggling hard with this marriage record from Palermo dated 24 July 1746, Lorenzo Oliveri and Angela Buffa (parish of Sant'Ippolito al Capo), no 101:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=559236

I am only able to read more or less accurately:

Anno D[omi]ni 1746. Ind[ictione] 9.
Die Vig[esi]mo quarto Julii
Den. .... ... ...
continu... inter .. missand ...
... die 15. 17 et 24 huius nullo
leg.mo imped.. detecto Ego S. ..
D. Antoninus ... Cap. Sace.
interrogavi Laurentiu Oliveri
Pan: Innubu, et Angelam Buffa
Pan: inn: ... ex'ura(?)
com que mutuo con'sa (?) habito
... per verba de p'nti matr.o
conjunxi p'nti .. .. no.. Jo:
sepho Oliveri et Petro Buffa.


I am particularly interested in the correct words and meaning preceding Josepho/Giuseppe Oliveri and Petro/Pietro Buffa, in order to understand family ties (fathers of the groom and bride, respectively?)

Many thanks,
Roberto
sertolicell
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 57
Joined: 19 May 2015, 10:40

Re: Latin church record - marriage 1746

Post by sertolicell »

I just realized that I am probably not helping myself by only posting a Familysearch link that requires logon, so here it is for more easy access:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/os9ibinxewnm9 ... 9.jpg?dl=0
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Latin church record - marriage 1746

Post by PippoM »

sertolicell wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 17:49

Anno D[omi]ni 1746. Ind[ictione] 9.
Die Vig[esi]mo quarto Julii
Den[unciationi]bus praemissis tribus diebus festivis
continuis inter missarum sol[emn]ia
vid??t die 15. 17 et 24 huius nulloq[ue]
legitimo imped[imen]to detecto Ego S. ..
D. Antoninus Sidoti Cap[pellanu]s Sace.
interrogavi Laurentium Oliveri
Pan[ormitanum] Innub[tum], et Angelam Buffa
Pan[ormitam] innuptam ambos ex mea (?) Par[ochia]
com que mutuo con[sen]su habito
... per verba de p[raese]nti matr[imoni]o
conjunxi p[raese]ntibus testibus notis Jo:
sepho Oliveri et Petro Buffa.


There's something I could not read, and something not written in a correct Latin, but it's the usual template.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
sertolicell
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 57
Joined: 19 May 2015, 10:40

Re: Latin church record - marriage 1746

Post by sertolicell »

Thanks a lot, Pippo! :-)
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Latin church record - marriage 1746

Post by PippoM »

You're welcome, Roberto!
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
sertolicell
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 57
Joined: 19 May 2015, 10:40

Re: Latin church record - marriage 1746

Post by sertolicell »

In order to go further back in time in would be extremely valuable to fully understand the sentence:
"... ambos ex [?] parochia".

Does it mean "both out of this parish", or does the "ex" rather implies "both from outside this parish" ?

I suppose the latter is NOT correct, since marriage usually took place in the bride's parish.
sertolicell
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 57
Joined: 19 May 2015, 10:40

Re: Latin church record - marriage 1746

Post by sertolicell »

btw: Looking again, I don't think the word after "ex" is "mea". To me it looks more like "nra", and with an abbreviation symbol ("9") above the line, I interpret this as "n[ost]ra".
I.e. "ambos ex nostra Parochia".
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Latin church record - marriage 1746

Post by PippoM »

I think you can be right.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Post Reply