Hello all,
I am new to this website but it was suggested by members of the WikiTree website so I figured that I would give it a go to tackle my brick wall. My GG Grandfather Vincenzo Trizzino sailed from Naples, Italy to New York, New York, USA on board the Luisiana from March 26, 1911 to April 11, 1911 with his brother, Nicola and cousin, Rocco Clemente. In the section requesting the name and full address of nearest relative in country that was just left, all three listed different relatives including Vincenzo and Nicola's father, Alfonso who was living on Via Zingari in Palermo, Palazzo Adriano, Sicilia, Italia. This is great and should help out a lot but when I looked it up on Google Maps as well as some other maps online, the current one said Vicolo Zingari or Vicolo il deglia Zingari both meaning Alley of the Gypsies. But are these the same street or have I been shown a different street? I know that a simple difference in street name could take me to the wrong place but so if anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it.
Thank you,
Mike
Italian Street Name Help for Genealogy Brick Wall
Re: Italian Street Name Help for Genealogy Brick Wall
Hello Mike,
Palazzo Adriano is a comune in Palermo province. In Palazzo Adriano, the only road I see with the word zingaro ("gypsy") or a variant in its name is Vicolo Zingaro. The other alley/lane, Vicolo II degli Zingari is in the city of Palermo, itself (80+ km away from Palazzo Adriano).
Names do get changed over time, even (or especially?) in smaller comunes -- sometimes the names change slightly and sometimes completely. At the time, the street may have been called Via Zingari by the locals -- via is a more generic term for street, after all. Especially if they didn't live on the street themselves, I could understand if they reported the location of their relative's home as Via Zingari, rather than Vicolo Zingaro. It could be a totally different street, but if you are sure the comune is correct, then I would say there's a very good chance they are one and the same. Still, I'm not an expert in Italian road naming...
Chris
Palazzo Adriano is a comune in Palermo province. In Palazzo Adriano, the only road I see with the word zingaro ("gypsy") or a variant in its name is Vicolo Zingaro. The other alley/lane, Vicolo II degli Zingari is in the city of Palermo, itself (80+ km away from Palazzo Adriano).
Names do get changed over time, even (or especially?) in smaller comunes -- sometimes the names change slightly and sometimes completely. At the time, the street may have been called Via Zingari by the locals -- via is a more generic term for street, after all. Especially if they didn't live on the street themselves, I could understand if they reported the location of their relative's home as Via Zingari, rather than Vicolo Zingaro. It could be a totally different street, but if you are sure the comune is correct, then I would say there's a very good chance they are one and the same. Still, I'm not an expert in Italian road naming...
Chris

