Italian Roots Help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

Great, Thanks. I don't think I'll be able to get to Derry this week or next. Any help would be appreciated! See if you can find any Gullos or Ferraiolos in general. I have an idea....
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by adelfio »

After looking at the records of San Pietro a Maida I see why they don't answer the request for records its because there are just a few indexes in the registry so you have to go through page by page
I did find a birth record of Tomaso Tedesco going page by page

INDEX#73
1850 Oct 29th in the town of San Pietro a Maida birth of Tomaso Tedesco son of Tomaso Tedesco age 50 farmer and his wife Cecilia Caffola age 30

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

That would put Tommaso's mom's birth date as somewhere in 1820. His father was pretty old.
Thanks for your help.

Nothing on Angela Gatto?
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

What does all the writing on the side say by the names?
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by adelfio »

That's the church side of the record says he was baptized the same day in the parish church of San Pietro a Maida
Didn't see Angela Gatto in the years I searched with no indexes its time consuming research
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

Understood. Thanks for your help. Am wondering if this guy had brothers and sisters considering how old his father was.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by adelfio »

I think POSSIBLE I found the birth record of Vincenzo Ferraiolo who is the father of Marco Ferraiolo (1869) you would have to get more info from your resource in San Pietro like the marriage record to verify the info

INDEX#54
1847 Nov 21st in the town of San Pietro a Maida birth of Vincenzo Gaetano Francesco Ferraiolo son of Marco Ferraiolo age 30 farmer and his wife Domenica Ruffo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

My cousin said that I would have to talk to a Ferraiolo cousin for that information since she doesn't know. I found some Ferraiolos in the San Pietro a Maida facebook group and sent out a few private messages. Dunno if they got them since Facebook has hidden messages for people not on the contact list. It's to filter possible spam.

But, let's do the math shall we?

1869-1847= 22. Guy would have been 22 when his son was born. Making sense so far.

Then let's go with the naming. This is where it gets funny for me. Because apparently the Ferraiolos lack in originality. XD

Marco (1817)
Vincenzo (1847)
Marco (1869)
Vincenzo (1894)
Marco (1925)
James (Vincenzo in Italian) 1947
James (1976)<--That's my brother. I was born in 1978.

Whew. I broke tradition!

The funny thing is the San Pietro guy who went to the office couldn't find the link that would lead me to this guy.

So, do you think I should add this info? I mean the dating seems accurate. And my last name is not that common. Think I should add it in? This is just too funny, by the way.

Did you see any other Ferraiolos?
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by adelfio »

Im telling you there are very few indexes in their records and you have to go through every page some of the years have 50 to 100 pages that's why they ask for the exact dates the city workers don't want to search page by page
That's why I said the church records might have indexes year to year and provide information
Im pretty sure its Marco's dad but I couldn't verify it without the marriage act
I still say theres a marriage publication record (marriage banns) in San Pietro for Marco Ferraiolo (1869) e Caterina Coppola( 1872) they just have to go through the records
It took me about a hour to find those two birth records at Family History Center I don't think they are gonna spend a hour going through the registry
Might have to hire a researcher in San Pietro to get your info

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

Right. I'm working on it. Talked to my great-aunt tonight and I am going to e-mail someone in the morning. I am hoping she can help me out with some of this. I gave the info to the office and I will see if they can use that.

I'm not sure how I will contact the church.

I did get some other bits of info. She (Nicki) went to the cemetery when she visited and found a Count Marco Ferraiolo. That's gotta be from WAY back.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by adelfio »

I added to the previous post

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

She told me about Concetta Coppola tonight. That was her aunt. Here's what she told me about her.

She was born June 24th, 1882 in San Pietro a Maida.
She married Vincenzo Papatola on Jun 4th, 1907.

They immigrated here in the 19teens and had a bunch of kids. One of them was actually sent BACK to Italy and had a family there. Francesco was born in SP and was sent back to Italy. She doesn't know why. Obviously he did something bad.

Got info on the kids from FS. But nothing on her mother. So Concetta is Caterina's sister. If you can find Concetta, you'd find her parents. I asked my friend at the commune office to look into it.
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

Here's Concetta's naturalization form.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

I just got a reply back from the San Pietro a Maida commune. I am trying to make sense of the pdf file they sent me. It doesn't help that it's upside down. If someone would like to help, that would be great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by adelfio »

Click on right mouse button to rotate
Birth extract of Marco Ferraiolo
INDEX#30
1868 July 1st in the town of San Pietro a Maida birth of Marco Ferraiolo son of Vincenzo Ferraiolo and Caterina Campisano
You need marriage record of Vincenzo and Caterina with parents names
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Post Reply