Italian citizenship eligibility

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
User avatar
signoretti
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 100
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 15:17

Italian citizenship eligibility

Post by signoretti »

Good afternoon,

My mother, brother, children and myself already have our Italian dual citizenship jure sangiunis. My Uncle (Moms brother) now wants to apply for his citizenship jure sangiunis. He would go to the same consulate my mother and brother are registered at. My uncle is asking for my assistance and so I am wondering if he will have to submit all the birth and marriage records again for his parents and grandparents, since I’ve already turned in all that paperwork for our citizenship?
Thanks for any advice :)
Emily ~
Researching Surnames:
Signoretti, Serroni, Moretti (Citta di Castello)
Ravetta, Clerici, Motta, Colli (Novara)
cportante
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 47
Joined: 05 Nov 2016, 14:55

Re: Italian citizenship eligibility

Post by cportante »

signoretti wrote: 20 Dec 2017, 23:24 Good afternoon,

My mother, brother, children and myself already have our Italian dual citizenship jure sangiunis. My Uncle (Moms brother) now wants to apply for his citizenship jure sangiunis. He would go to the same consulate my mother and brother are registered at. My uncle is asking for my assistance and so I am wondering if he will have to submit all the birth and marriage records again for his parents and grandparents, since I’ve already turned in all that paperwork for our citizenship?
Thanks for any advice :)
Emily ~

Hello Emily,

It may depend on the consulate in question. Would you mind sharing that, just in case? Also, how long ago did your mother claim her citizenship jure sanguinis?

Chris
User avatar
signoretti
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 100
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 15:17

Re: Italian citizenship eligibility

Post by signoretti »

Hello Chris,

My mom is regitered at the Los Angelos consulate. She received her citizenship and Italian passport in 2011.

Thanks so much ~
Researching Surnames:
Signoretti, Serroni, Moretti (Citta di Castello)
Ravetta, Clerici, Motta, Colli (Novara)
cportante
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 47
Joined: 05 Nov 2016, 14:55

Re: Italian citizenship eligibility

Post by cportante »

Emily,

It looks like he will have to do (most) everything over, as I suspected (source below). It is really too bad he did not join your mom (and the other family members) at the interview in 2011. It seems to make no difference that he falls under the jurisdiction of the same consulate. Still, you/your mom did a lot of legwork in the process which will make his obtaining documents much easier, I would think. Tell him to schedule an appointment right away!

This is from the LA Consulate website:

"DOCUMENTS ALREADY PROVIDED

If you are applying to us after a relative of yours has already been granted Italian citizenship by descent from the same ancestor as the one from which you are claiming citizenship, you must still submit all the family documents required, or authenticated copies issued by the Consulate or Municipalities (Comuni) that were used in your relative’s application for Italian [sic.]. Our office is not able to reference the files."

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news.

Chris
User avatar
signoretti
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 100
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 15:17

Re: Italian citizenship eligibility

Post by signoretti »

Chris,

Thank you so much you have been a huge help. At least I have already done all the work so I know where to get all the certifcates again, and I copied everything I turned in, so I can reference that.

Thanks again, your help has been much appreciated,
~Emily :)
Researching Surnames:
Signoretti, Serroni, Moretti (Citta di Castello)
Ravetta, Clerici, Motta, Colli (Novara)
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Italian citizenship eligibility

Post by mler »

Maybe I’m reading it wrong but it seems that LA wants authenticated copies from either the comune or the consulate that was used in the initial application. LA was the consulate used in the inital application, so all the papers should be in their files.

I believe they are not able to reference the files of another consulate, but their files are obviously available to them.

This is the relevant section:

“...or authenticated copies issued by the Consulate or Municipalities (Comuni) that were used in your relative’s application”
cportante
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 47
Joined: 05 Nov 2016, 14:55

Re: Italian citizenship eligibility

Post by cportante »

mler wrote: 22 Dec 2017, 02:26 Maybe I’m reading it wrong but it seems that LA wants authenticated copies from either the comune or the consulate that was used in the initial application. LA was the consulate used in the inital application, so all the papers should be in their files.

I believe they are not able to reference the files of another consulate, but their files are obviously available to them.

This is the relevant section:

“...or authenticated copies issued by the Consulate or Municipalities (Comuni) that were used in your relative’s application”
Mler: I think you may well be right. I interpreted that poorly. This is something that can probably be clarified/confirmed by a call to the scheduling service.

Chris
Post Reply