What does "sch." after groom/bride name means?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
sertolicell
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 57
Joined: 19 May 2015, 10:40

What does "sch." after groom/bride name means?

Post by sertolicell »

Hi there,
frequently I see the abbreviation "sch." following the name of groom and bride in the marriage records. I understand that it must describe the marital status of the person (unmarried, I suppose), since "ved" for vedovo/vedova (widower) is also sometimes observed in other marriages.

But can someone tell me what "sch." exactly means?

- Roberto
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: What does "sch." after groom/bride name means?

Post by mmogno »

Schietto/a
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: What does "sch." after groom/bride name means?

Post by liviomoreno »

single
sertolicell
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 57
Joined: 19 May 2015, 10:40

Re: What does "sch." after groom/bride name means?

Post by sertolicell »

Thanks!

Roberto
cportante
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 47
Joined: 05 Nov 2016, 14:55

Re: What does "sch." after groom/bride name means?

Post by cportante »

I've only ever seen "celibe" used for single/unmarried. Is "schietto" a regionalism or does it have a slightly different meaning? Or is it just a synonym.

Thanks!
Chris
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: What does "sch." after groom/bride name means?

Post by liviomoreno »

I believe the word is Sicilian. Often schetto, rather than schietto...
sertolicell
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 57
Joined: 19 May 2015, 10:40

Re: What does "sch." after groom/bride name means?

Post by sertolicell »

I asked my Sicilian father, he confirms that "schetto/schetta" in Sicilian dialect refers to a person who has not been married before.
Post Reply