An Interesting question about a birth certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
fourthgen
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 02 Jan 2018, 02:44

An Interesting question about a birth certificate

Post by fourthgen »

Happy New Year everyone!

I promised my mother that this year I would begin tracing back our ancestry to our family members that traveled over in the late 1800's from Italy to US with the goal of getting her citizenship and me as well.

I have all the dates involved already (marriages, births, deaths, birthplaces, places of death, date of immigration, departure and arrival ports). I've also found both sides of the family naturalization petitions and everything seems to be in order and meet the criteria for jure sanguinis,

Here's my hiccup: My great grandfather immigrated in 1897. My grandfather was born in 1906 in a state that did not have birth certificates by law until 1918. Any local records that may have been kept (not likely) were destroyed by a flood of the local courthouse in 1927. Complete loss of all records.

There will never be a birth certificate for him as far as I can tell.

I know that church records from Italy can be used if no birth certificate can be found.

Here's my question: Can church records from the US be used if no birth certificate can be found?

Thanks for your time, I've enjoyed reading through the threads and in fact saw one about the Italian churches that prompted this thread!
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: An Interesting question about a birth certificate

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
Can you give us a name and city and state?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
fourthgen
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 02 Jan 2018, 02:44

Re: An Interesting question about a birth certificate

Post by fourthgen »

Hi thanks for replying,

I can give you his information:

Sam/Sammie/Salvatore Giglio
Ferriday, Louisiana, May 1906

Married 1929, Shreveport, LA
Died April 1974, Shreveport, LA

Thanks!

I know this is primarily a board focuses on Italian records, so I appreciate any expertise you might have.
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: An Interesting question about a birth certificate

Post by Biff83 »

Church baptismal records are accepted for citizenship if no birth certificate can be found, at least currently at the Philadelphia consulate.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
fourthgen
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 02 Jan 2018, 02:44

Re: An Interesting question about a birth certificate

Post by fourthgen »

Thanks Biff. Do you have any idea what kind of provenance is required?

Just a copy?
Paperwork from the church/diocese?

Thanks for the help. I'm going to Houston but I'll take any info at all.
Post Reply