Translation of letters between my grandparents
Translation of letters between my grandparents
Hello there!
I am looking for help in translating a series of letters my grandparents wrote to one another. I have several, written during the 1930s to the 1950s. The first set of letters I am assuming took place during their courtship. Most of those that follow were written during WWII, when my grandfather was a soldier in the Italian army. The final set were written when my grandfather came to Canada before their rest of the family joined him.
I will post one or two at a time, in chronological order. I have several letters, so please let me know when I have posted too many to be translated. I know you are all volunteering your help, and I don't want to overburden anyone or ask too much. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Here is the link to the first two letters. They do not have a year, but I think they are the first ones written by my grandmother Natalina (whom I am named after and who just turned 100 on Christmas Day this year!) and my grandfather Vincenzo some time around 1935.
Tanti grazie!
Natalina.
https://postimg.org/gallery/vliafd5y/
I am looking for help in translating a series of letters my grandparents wrote to one another. I have several, written during the 1930s to the 1950s. The first set of letters I am assuming took place during their courtship. Most of those that follow were written during WWII, when my grandfather was a soldier in the Italian army. The final set were written when my grandfather came to Canada before their rest of the family joined him.
I will post one or two at a time, in chronological order. I have several letters, so please let me know when I have posted too many to be translated. I know you are all volunteering your help, and I don't want to overburden anyone or ask too much. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Here is the link to the first two letters. They do not have a year, but I think they are the first ones written by my grandmother Natalina (whom I am named after and who just turned 100 on Christmas Day this year!) and my grandfather Vincenzo some time around 1935.
Tanti grazie!
Natalina.
https://postimg.org/gallery/vliafd5y/
-
sertolicell
- Rookie

- Posts: 57
- Joined: 19 May 2015, 10:40
Re: Translation of letters between my grandparents
Have you tried to type in the letters and then paste into google translate first?
I suppose Italian handwriting was not significantly different to English handwriting in 1930s-1950s.
Google Translate is very efficient and should easily provide you with 90% understanding of the letters' content.
I suppose Italian handwriting was not significantly different to English handwriting in 1930s-1950s.
Google Translate is very efficient and should easily provide you with 90% understanding of the letters' content.
Re: Translation of letters between my grandparents
Thank you for the suggestion! I can't make out all of the words in the letters as the handwriting is old-fashioned, but I will try it out.
Best,
Natalina.
Best,
Natalina.
Re: Translation of letters between my grandparents
Wait - do you mean paste the entire letter in to google translate as a document?
Re: Translation of letters between my grandparents
Natalina,
I think some of the problem here is the angle of parts of the letters. It becomes difficult to translate when the words (and some of them are cut off) are at an angle.
IF you can re-scan and post so that they are all "upright" it will help us.
Meanwhile...
The third image...and top of the fourth...
She writes to her dearest Vincenzo to say that she has received his dear card and is content to know that he is well. She is healthy but always unhappy that he is so far away. She speaks of coming to Cosenza last Monday to spend the month of May. On the night before they left his mother made a visit to her. It was a lengthy visit and they spoke continuously of you. Natalina states that she has great affection for his mother and if she lives a long life she will be their companion and their guide. She writes "My Vincenzo" that his words make her happy and tranquil as she remembers, and she says that he has her constant affection now and until death. She thinks that their love will become stronger and some day they will live in peace at their home.
I will try to finish later...
T.
I think some of the problem here is the angle of parts of the letters. It becomes difficult to translate when the words (and some of them are cut off) are at an angle.
IF you can re-scan and post so that they are all "upright" it will help us.
Meanwhile...
The third image...and top of the fourth...
She writes to her dearest Vincenzo to say that she has received his dear card and is content to know that he is well. She is healthy but always unhappy that he is so far away. She speaks of coming to Cosenza last Monday to spend the month of May. On the night before they left his mother made a visit to her. It was a lengthy visit and they spoke continuously of you. Natalina states that she has great affection for his mother and if she lives a long life she will be their companion and their guide. She writes "My Vincenzo" that his words make her happy and tranquil as she remembers, and she says that he has her constant affection now and until death. She thinks that their love will become stronger and some day they will live in peace at their home.
I will try to finish later...
T.
Re: Translation of letters between my grandparents
Oh my gosh - I can't tell you how exciting it is for me to hear what my grandmother had written! Thank you so much, Tessa! I will repost the images as you suggested once I get the chance. Should I post them as a reply to this original post or make a new one? I am new at this
.
Natalina.
PS My granfather's mother lived to the age of 96 and my grandparents did love eachother right up until his death in 1994.
Natalina.
PS My granfather's mother lived to the age of 96 and my grandparents did love eachother right up until his death in 1994.
Re: Translation of letters between my grandparents
REpost here first...Nat wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 16:41 Oh my gosh - I can't tell you how exciting it is for me to hear what my grandmother had written! Thank you so much, Tessa! I will repost the images as you suggested once I get the chance. Should I post them as a reply to this original post or make a new one? I am new at this.
Natalina.
PS My granfather's mother lived to the age of 96 and my grandparents did love eachother right up until his death in 1994.
Here is the continuation of the letter....
She writes "Remember me always as I do you and write to me always!"
She states that she has made something red on the front of the two letters knowing that it would please him. I believe she states that while in Cosenza she feels alone and desolate. Her hosts send their greetings, and her "Signora" says to tell him that all is calm and all are looking after her and she (Signora) takes care of her like a daughter. She closes with wishes for his health and for the strength, and sends deareast greetings with much affection for him. She signs it "Your Natalina for life"
T.
Re: Translation of letters between my grandparents
"Le tue lettere mi fanno passare il tempo, innanzi con più rassegnazione. Fammi sapere se il rancio che vi passano ti piace, oppure se soffri!"Tessa78 wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 16:55 She states that she has made something red on the front of the two letters
T.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Translation of letters between my grandparents
Sorry for the late response - I have re-scanned the first letter, Cosenza 6, with the hope that it is easier to decipher. Here are the links to each page, in order:
https://postimg.org/image/7e2zcq8tx/
https://postimg.org/image/7e2zcq8tx/
https://postimg.org/image/a864q5vkl/
https://postimg.org/image/saz7hdz51/
Thank you!
Natalina.
https://postimg.org/image/7e2zcq8tx/
https://postimg.org/image/7e2zcq8tx/
https://postimg.org/image/a864q5vkl/
https://postimg.org/image/saz7hdz51/
Thank you!
Natalina.
Re: Translation of letters between my grandparents
Here are the re-scanned images for the letter you already translated, Tessa:
https://postimg.org/image/sdnohjcmd/
https://postimg.org/image/cs6cxksyd/
https://postimg.org/image/wzjspw5v9/
N.
https://postimg.org/image/sdnohjcmd/
https://postimg.org/image/cs6cxksyd/
https://postimg.org/image/wzjspw5v9/
N.
Re: Translation of letters between my grandparents
Nat wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 00:54 Sorry for the late response - I have re-scanned the first letter, Cosenza 6, with the hope that it is easier to decipher. Here are the links to each page, in order:
https://postimg.org/image/7e2zcq8tx/
https://postimg.org/image/7e2zcq8tx/
https://postimg.org/image/a864q5vkl/
https://postimg.org/image/saz7hdz51/
Thank you!
Natalina.
Let's give it a start...
Here is the first page of the "Cosenza 6" letter (your images 1 and 2 are identical)
Natalina writes:
T.First of all, I am very sorry to hear you are continually ill, I have phed so many tears, and I can not rest, I am always turning to thoughts of you, my only love.
You have recommended to be calm, and as far as possible, you can not tneglect your dear health to me, and think that if one day I will be yours I will give you all my precious care, and I will surround you with all the great affection i have for you.

