Hungarian Coulple in NJ

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Tanner
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 144
Joined: 04 Jul 2017, 22:47

Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ

Post by Tanner »

suanj,

I also did not have luck with the 1905 census. But here is thier marriage record, in NJ, in 1904.

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse ... sePUB=true
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ

Post by suanj »

Tanner I don't have ancestry.com account, so I cannot read, but where they married.. what place.. Newark?
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ

Post by suanj »

the surname spelling could be Stankov or Stankow???
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ffusiak
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 237
Joined: 01 Jun 2015, 15:28
Location: USA: New Jersey

Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ

Post by ffusiak »

Tanner,

As follow-up to my PM, attached is the marriage record from St. Stanislaus Church in Newark. Records was obtained at the following (image 500, Film 1398598):

https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library

Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tanner
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 144
Joined: 04 Jul 2017, 22:47

Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ

Post by Tanner »

Frank,

Wow, this is remarkable. I don’t speak Latin but this confirms that they were Hungarian and gives thier traditional names as well as their parents names, this is amazing! Thank you so much! Very interesting that they attended a Polish church. HoWever, Johannes is not a Hungarian name, I don’t believe? Either way, this is a spectacular starting point. The writing is a bit hard to read and i will need to translate the Latin, but I can build off this!
Tanner
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 144
Joined: 04 Jul 2017, 22:47

Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ

Post by Tanner »

Are these names Hungarian? It looks to me like John Stanko is spelled Joannes Stenko. János is Hungarian for John. Joannes sounds like something else to me. His parents look like “Andreas Stenko” and his mother I can’t make out at all. Can anyone make out these names and or validate them as Hungarian?
ffusiak
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 237
Joined: 01 Jun 2015, 15:28
Location: USA: New Jersey

Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ

Post by ffusiak »

I read it as

Joannes Stenko age 23 son of Andreas and Maria Kowal

Anna Kenderes age 22 daughter of Michaelis and Elizabeth Gajda

in attendance Carolo Praisner and Joanne Solautaj (?)

I would cross-check this one with the NJ state record.


The church records had many "Slavic" names. I also saw some from Carphato-Rusyn surname (which I am) but the records seem to always state their nationalities as you can slightly see "Pol" on the record below. Thus I think you can conclude they were from Hungary.

PS: Here is a Latin reference - https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/La ... ord_List#P
Tanner
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 144
Joined: 04 Jul 2017, 22:47

Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ

Post by Tanner »

I agree, this confirms they are Hungarian. To me Anna appears to be something else, and Maria Kowal looks more like Maria Kowaé. I will cross check this for sure. Thank you so much for your help, my family will be so excited to find this info.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ

Post by suanj »

ffusiak wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 18:56 Tanner,

As follow-up to my PM, attached is the marriage record from St. Stanislaus Church in Newark. Records was obtained at the following (image 500, Film 1398598):

https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library

Frank
Great... the parents are mentioned, great!
thanks,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ

Post by suanj »

Anna Kenderes was 22 old on 1904.. she was born around 1882..
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply