DUAL CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
angelasantoro9
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 17 Jan 2018, 20:54

DUAL CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Post by angelasantoro9 »

Hello all,

I have been attempting to apply for dual citizenship and recently I had a breakthrough and I am hoping to find the missing pieces! My great great grandfather was born in Tricarico, Italy and I am not able to find his birth records, or his marriage certificate with with great great grandmother.

The info I have is from ancestry.com and I am hoping to find a birth certificate for him, and any other info that would be available.

Innocencio Santoro (or Innocenzo Santoro)
BIRTH JAN 1865 • Italy (I believe it was January 29, 1865)
ARRIVAL IN US 1888
Naturalization in 1902 ?

Maria Santoro (Mogina)
BIRTH: May of 1873

They were married in 1885 in Italy.

I am not 100% sure about my grandmother (Maria Santoro), however I know more information on my grandfather Innocencio (Innocenzo) Santoro who came to the USA.

I have been searching around, and any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Angela Santoro
Attachments
Innocencio or Innocenzo Santoro Naturalization Doc
Innocencio or Innocenzo Santoro Naturalization Doc
1900 US Census.jpg
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: DUAL CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Post by mler »

Even if you are able to find the documentation you seek, you have a 1912 problem. According to Italian law at the time, any naturalization that took place before the 1912 citizenship law was passed, ended citizenship for the entire family even for those children who were born before the naturalization took place.

This is a problem that, to my knowledge, has not been successfully challenged in Italian courts. A naturalization in 1902, would have effectively ended Italian citizenship for the line you describe.

Confirm those naturalization dates to determine if your family was affected by pre-1912 law.
angelasantoro9
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 17 Jan 2018, 20:54

Re: DUAL CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Post by angelasantoro9 »

Very interesting, and thank you for this as I was not aware. If we do fall pre-1912, there is no way to secure any kind of italian citizenship?

Thank you!
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: DUAL CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Post by mler »

As far as I know, pre-1912 law has not been successfully challenged in the courts. But there is a first time for everything. It doesn’t hurt to check with a lawyer who handles 1948 cases. In the meantime, you may want to check if another line might be viable.
Post Reply