I am still researching my Italian ancestry but haven't been on this site in a while. However, I do have a question. I am wondering about the locations listed on the birth, death and marriage records. Most of my family is from Patti, Montagnareale, Gioiosa Marea, and Librizzi. As I was researching I found locations such as Contrada Piriano in Montagnareale, Contrada Provenzani in Patti, Contrada Trombettina in Librizzi, Quartiere S. Giananotto in Librizzi. I was thinking that Contrada meant street. Is this correct or does it mean an area of the city? I would appreciate it if someone can help clarify this for me. As I research certain names and the address and surname are on the same record, does this mean they must be related to my ancestors because they live on the same street or area?
I thank you in advance for any assistance.
Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.
The meaning may vary based on the area of Italy.
According to my experience "contrada" in Central Italy is usually an area of town, whereas in Southern Italy is a rural area belonging to the town, but out of it. Of course, some "contrada"'s were so small that they reduced to a street and the houses built around it (so, in some records, you may find Contrada xxx as well as strada xxx).
As to your second question, I'd say it is likely they are related, but not necessarily, expecially in the case of a common surname.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
You 're welcome, Sue. Glad to have been able to explain!
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.