Jus Sanguinis through maternal side

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
jduvall
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 01:30

Jus Sanguinis through maternal side

Post by jduvall »

I submitted this yesterday, but I am resubmitting because I am not sure if it went through. Apologize if this is a double post.

I have been researching the issue and believe I qualify for citizenship, however I would love to hear from the panel of experts on here as to all of your thoughts. Here are the applicable facts:

Great grandfather ("GGF") born in Bari in 1894
GGF emigrates to the United States in 1913
Grandmother ("GM") born in the United States in 1927
GGF naturalizes in 1941
GM gives birth to my mother in the United States in 1950
I am born in the United States in 1980

As I understand it, I am eligible because of the following:

My GM was born in the U.S. and obtained citizenship jus soli, therefore she did not lose her Italian citizenship when my GGF naturalized even though she was a minor.

My GM was able to pass citizenship along to my mother since my mother was born after 1948.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Jus Sanguinis through maternal side

Post by mler »

Yes, you are correct. You qualify.
Post Reply