Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
User avatar
brogie62
Elite
Elite
Posts: 273
Joined: 20 Oct 2017, 02:49
Location: New Jersey

Citizenship

Post by brogie62 »

I never thought getting Italian citizenship was possible until I encountered these forums doing my genealogy research.

I am intrigued the idea and I think my case would be relatively straightforward.

Both of my maternal grandparents were born in Sicily.
They independently emigrated to the US and met and married here.

My mother was born in the US in 1933.

My grandfather became a naturalized citizen in 1943.

However my grandmother filed her petition in 1931, before my mother was born, but did not become naturalized until 1935, after she was born.

I was born after 1948 in the US.

I assume that I can file for citizenship but wanted to get feedback from those that have done it.

Thanks
Places: Jaci, Palazzolo Acreide, Pedara, Trecastagni
Names: Fisichella, Gangemi, Miano, Moscuzza, Smriglio, Torrisi, Valvo
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Citizenship

Post by mler »

Yes, you have a very straightforward case, and you definitely qualify.
User avatar
brogie62
Elite
Elite
Posts: 273
Joined: 20 Oct 2017, 02:49
Location: New Jersey

Re: Citizenship

Post by brogie62 »

Thanks mler. Is a lawyer always necessary or can I do this myself?
Places: Jaci, Palazzolo Acreide, Pedara, Trecastagni
Names: Fisichella, Gangemi, Miano, Moscuzza, Smriglio, Torrisi, Valvo
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Citizenship

Post by mler »

You only need a lawyer if you are attempting to claim citizenship from a woman whose child was born before 1948. That does not apply in your case. You would be applying through the consulate, and a lawyer would not offer you anything you couldn't do yourself.
User avatar
brogie62
Elite
Elite
Posts: 273
Joined: 20 Oct 2017, 02:49
Location: New Jersey

Re: Citizenship

Post by brogie62 »

I discovered that I already have an official birth certificate for my Italy-born grandfather. However, it is dated 1918 and is in poor condition. Should I get another?
Places: Jaci, Palazzolo Acreide, Pedara, Trecastagni
Names: Fisichella, Gangemi, Miano, Moscuzza, Smriglio, Torrisi, Valvo
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Citizenship

Post by mler »

If it is legible, it should be fine. However, you may want another one for your own records. When I applied, the consulate did not keep my grandfather’s Italian birth certificate (it was obviously already registered in the comune), but I don’t know if things have changed.
User avatar
brogie62
Elite
Elite
Posts: 273
Joined: 20 Oct 2017, 02:49
Location: New Jersey

Re: Citizenship

Post by brogie62 »

mler wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 14:34 If it is legible, it should be fine. However, you may want another one for your own records. When I applied, the consulate did not keep my grandfather’s Italian birth certificate (it was obviously already registered in the comune), but I don’t know if things have changed.

Thanks again mler. You are very helpful.

One additional question, actually two: I also have my grandfather's Certificate of Naturalization. Am I correct in believing that all I need to do is get a certified copy of it? Can this be done at any USCIS office?

Kevin
Places: Jaci, Palazzolo Acreide, Pedara, Trecastagni
Names: Fisichella, Gangemi, Miano, Moscuzza, Smriglio, Torrisi, Valvo
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Citizenship

Post by mler »

I can't answer this question. I applied more than ten years ago, and NY accepted my certified declaration and oath. I believe the actual certificate is now required, but, although I would guess the original certificate will do, I'm not certain.
Post Reply