How important is the non-immigrant spouse's birth certificate?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
jduvall
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 01:30

How important is the non-immigrant spouse's birth certificate?

Post by jduvall »

I believe I am eligible for citizenship jus sanguinis based on my Great Grandfather's birth in Italy in 1894. As part of the paperwork that the consulate requires, I must provide a birth certificate for the American woman my GGF married after he came to the USA. However, that woman, my Great Grandmother, was born in rural Washington state in 1905 and it does not appear that she ever had a birth certificate (confirmed by two of her still-living daughters who say they have always been told their mother did not have a birth certificate). Will this cause major problems? Since she is not in the direct line back to my Italian ancestor, I am hopeful that it will not be a huge deal. Are my hopes unfounded and am I screwed?

Thanks!
jennabet
Master
Master
Posts: 1396
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 20:28
Location: Ancestral Homeland - Abruzzo Italy

Re: How important is the non-immigrant spouse's birth certificate?

Post by jennabet »

If your great-grandmother had also been born in Italy it would not be a big deal because all of her vital information would be readily available regardless of whether or not you provided her birth info. The reason they ask for the birth certificate of a non-Italian spouse who was born in the USA is to make sure she did not give birth to any children before she married your great-grandfather who might then also try to apply for Italian citizenship through your great-grandfather. I think it is going to be necessary for you to prove who your great-grandmother was and I would not rely on word of mouth information from living relatives. You should do everything you can to find her vital information.
jduvall
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 01:30

Re: How important is the non-immigrant spouse's birth certificate?

Post by jduvall »

That makes sense--thanks for the info. I have contacted all of the agencies that could have vital records for my great grandmother and they do not have a birth certificate. She was, however, married before my great grandfather and had one child who my great grandfather "adopted" (I don't think there was ever a formal adoption). Will that present issues?
jennabet
Master
Master
Posts: 1396
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 20:28
Location: Ancestral Homeland - Abruzzo Italy

Re: How important is the non-immigrant spouse's birth certificate?

Post by jennabet »

Yes, and that is exactly what they are looking for. Exactly that kind of information when the wife is not Italian born or does not have Italian parents.
Post Reply