Identifying military uniforms and service

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
sicone1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 28 Mar 2018, 03:22

Identifying military uniforms and service

Post by sicone1 »

Hi there

First forum post, and probably one in a long series. I'm new to Italian genealogy research, but have been doing plenty of research into my Canadian-American-British-Irish side for a couple of years now and got very far (as far as 1000 years ago).

My maternal side is Italian. I know for a fact that my mom's paternal grandfather, Pasquale Franchi, served in WWI on the frontline, and was even taken as a POW at one point. However nobody has any idea as to what regiment he served in, where, how long, etc. He's originally from Teramo, Abruzzo.

And my mom's maternal grandfather, Vittorio Genuini, also served. I even have a picture of him in uniform. I don't know Italian military uniforms well, and I don't know if he served in WWI or if this was just regular conscription. His uniform seems pretty fancy for a conscript. He's from around Rome.

So questions:
1) Where can I find Italian military records from WWI
2) If I can't find a digital source, I've seen/heard of people paying Italians to check local records for them. Is there a recommended service in this regard?
3) I've attached a picture of Vittorio in uniform. Anybody know the regiment? Would regular Italians be conscripted into this unit or was it more professional?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Identifying military uniforms and service

Post by suanj »

He was a Bersagliere.. https://66radunobersaglieripiave2018.it ... o-piumato/ for the other your questions, you can ask the copy of his FOGLIO MATRICOLARE to Provincial archive where he was born.. around Rome... It is no enough.. if you can provide birthdate and birthplace the Archive will find his military sheet with all data... and then to contact again you for payment and you will receive it...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
cportante
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 47
Joined: 05 Nov 2016, 14:55

Re: Identifying military uniforms and service

Post by cportante »

You should be proud to have a Bersagliere as an ancestor! My great-grandfather was also a Bersagliere -- in his case, he was in a Cyclist division. I have requested a Foglio Matricolare twice. One was free, and the other I had to pay for (two different comuni).
Post Reply