I am planning on contacting the consulate tomorrow, but this is such a sad thing to hear
Houston Consulate and non married grandparents
Houston Consulate and non married grandparents
I am nearing the stages of mailing off for all of the vital records, but I stumbled onto a couple posts that state that if my grandparents were never married, even though they are on my fathers birth certificate that I do not qualify. Is there a lot of truth to this?
I am planning on contacting the consulate tomorrow, but this is such a sad thing to hear
I am planning on contacting the consulate tomorrow, but this is such a sad thing to hear
-
OpusReticulatum
- Rookie

- Posts: 51
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 18:16
Re: Houston Consulate and non married grandparents
There is nothing in Italian citizenship law that says that parents must be married in order for Italian citizenship to be transmitted to their children.
That said, the consulates will want proof of paternity/acknowledgement of paternity, if the citizenship is being passed on via the father. A birth certificate with both parents names on it, coupled with a marriage certificate with both parents names on it is the easiest method for the consulates to do this. But, it is not the only way.
Please describe the line of citizenship that you will be using, that way we can get a better sense if there might be alternative means of proving paternity - or if you even necessarily need to.
That said, the consulates will want proof of paternity/acknowledgement of paternity, if the citizenship is being passed on via the father. A birth certificate with both parents names on it, coupled with a marriage certificate with both parents names on it is the easiest method for the consulates to do this. But, it is not the only way.
Please describe the line of citizenship that you will be using, that way we can get a better sense if there might be alternative means of proving paternity - or if you even necessarily need to.
