Are records kept that include past merchants - Trieste?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Post Reply
billbell3
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 31 Aug 2017, 03:02

Are records kept that include past merchants - Trieste?

Post by billbell3 »

I have a question. It turns out that my grandmother, Teresa Slizza Ellero and my grandfather, Augusto Caligaris, were not actually married. I have found info on my grandmother, her birth, parents, first marriage, etc., but cannot find a definitive lock on Augusto.

What I've been told. Augusto owned a store, possibly a shoe store, before, during and after WWII. My mother and her twin sister were born, in Trieste, in 1937. They were given Teresa's first husband's last name of Ellero, not their true father's, Augusto.

Supposedly, Augusto traveled between Trieste and another store that he owned, in Italy or Austria. Having no luck with marriage, birth or death records, is there records available on merchants, or store rents, or... some other commerce-based records?

Curious and stumped.
Cheers!
Bill

Researching Trieste, Cuneo, Barbaresco with surnames Ellero, Slizza, and Calligaris, Caligari
User avatar
gaspaol
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 151
Joined: 14 Jun 2017, 16:22

Re: Are records kept that include past merchants - Trieste?

Post by gaspaol »

In the Trieste municipal archive there are directories listing all the shops and houses belonging to families in the city.
They have volumes ranging from the late 19th century up to mid 20th century.

You could try to contact them and see if they can check.
http://www.retecivica.trieste.it/triest ... _generale/

Not sure how you could find the other shop though.

P.S. Actually you can find some of them on google books but I haven't found any Augusto Caligaris yet
Ricerche genealogiche in Italia
https://gasppaol.wixsite.com/genealogia
billbell3
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 31 Aug 2017, 03:02

Re: Are records kept that include past merchants - Trieste?

Post by billbell3 »

Thanks Gaspare, I appreciate the information. I will drop them a note to see if they're willing to look.My guess is it wouldn't be digitized.
Cheers!
Bill

Researching Trieste, Cuneo, Barbaresco with surnames Ellero, Slizza, and Calligaris, Caligari
Post Reply