Jure Sanguinis - Eligibility

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
battista
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 25 May 2018, 12:24

Jure Sanguinis - Eligibility

Post by battista »

After reading much material online about Jure Sanguinis, I thought I was eligible, but after reading this thread: https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/emigration/36992 I am now confused.

Here's my info:
Great Grandfather: Born in Italy, 1847. Moved to the UK sometime after 1871. Never naturalised as a citizen of the UK (I have a letter from National Archives of the UK confirming this).
Grandfather: Born in England, 1879. Never moved.
Father: Born in England, 1913. Moved to New Zealand in 1926. New Zealand citizenship didn't exist until 1949 (all NZ citizens were british subjects). Automatically became a NZ citizen by descent in 1949, due to law changes.
Me (female): Born in New Zealand, 1944. Was a British Subject at birth, became a NZ citizen by descent in 1949, due to law changes.

Am I eligible? And if so, does that mean my children and grandchildren are as well?
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Jure Sanguinis - Eligibility

Post by mler »

Yes and yes! 🙂
Post Reply