Birth date conundrum - 3 different dates b/w Italian Birth Cert, Death Cert, and Petition for Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
Ciaoterrarium
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 07 Jun 2018, 18:34

Birth date conundrum - 3 different dates b/w Italian Birth Cert, Death Cert, and Petition for Naturalization

Post by Ciaoterrarium »

Ciao all. In the midst of preparing all the needed documents for Italian dual citizenship (I'm a U.S. citizen), I've come across a complicated date mismatch.

First, I have a second cousin (my mother's cousin) who has successfully been through the process and granted citizenship through the Detroit consulate, perhaps a decade ago. Through her I have a copy of the Italian birth certificate of our common Italian ancestor, my great-grandfather.

Now, the issues: that official Italian certificate has a similar, but different birth year and day than appears on his petition for naturalization and death certificate. To further complicate matters, that naturalization certificate has a slightly different spelling of his last name...but also has the spelling that appears on the birth cert crossed out. (Further complicating matters the family underwent an official name change from Marchiano to Markino.)

Image

So we've got:
  • Italian Birth Certificate: b.d. 3 Nov 1901 (last name: Marchiano)
  • Petition for Naturalization: b.d. 2 Nov 1902 (last name: Marchiano crossed out, replaced with Marchino)
  • Declaration of Intention: b.d. 4 Nov 1902
  • Death Certificate: b.d. 4 Nov 1920 (surely a transposition of 1902)
I gather that the easiest way forward is to get the death certificate amended to match the Italian birth certificate, and then hope that the consulate doesn't require the Petition for Naturalization, and simply asks for the Certificate of Citizenship where birth date isn't listed.

Does anyone have experience with a similar situation? I'm waiting to hear back from the Detroit consulate, hoping that they can give us a streamlined process given the existing records they might have, if we're really really lucky. Otherwise, I'm not sure where to begin.
Post Reply