Complications with Eligibility

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
nicholsseanna
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 12 Jun 2018, 15:37

Complications with Eligibility

Post by nicholsseanna »

Hi guys,

I'm completely new to this genealogy stuff, so please bear with me.

My GGF was born in Rome in 1887, but petitioned for American citizenship in 1933, just 3 months before my GM was born. He signed an Oath of Allegiance before she was born as well. This is probably a stupid question, but even if he wasn't naturalized, that Oath invalidates my right to citizenship, correct? And furthermore... the consulate would find it even if I didn't submit it to them? Part of me was hoping I could get a letter of non-existence for the naturalization certificate, and pretend the Oath doesn't exist, haha.

If that doesn't work, his wife, my GGM, was also born in Italy. However, I can't find anything about her on FamilySearch or Fold3 except for her certificate of arrival. Can anyone give me tips on where to start?

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply