Ancestor's birthplace is a mystery

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
lexi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 24 Aug 2018, 20:23

Ancestor's birthplace is a mystery

Post by lexi »

Hello,
I am nearly positive that my brother, dad, and I are eligible for iure sanguinis through Dad's maternal grandfather, but we've hit a snag. Here's our background info:
-Great Grandfather Vito was born in 1884 and came to the USA in 1899 at age 16
-He married our GGM Nicolena in Trenton, NJ and my grandmother, Rosie, was born in 1923
-Vito became a naturalized citizen in 1942 or 43 at the earliest

That being said, I cannot for the life of me find Vito's birthplace in order to contact a comune and order a birth record. I don't have his parents' names - I think he was an orphan, actually - so no info there. I know he left Italy on the Augusta Victoria from the port of Genoa in 1899, and I know he was from the north. However, his birthplace is only listed on one document I have of his (WW2 draft card), and it says "Caloba, Italy" which doesn't exist (or maybe it did once but doesn't anymore)! I cannot figure out what northern comune Caloba would have been in, if it did exist, or what small town he would have meant that then got misspelled by whoever was taking down the record. I've looked for all kinds of variations on the word... Caluba, Caliba, Colaba, .............!

Two questions:
1. Any idea what "Caloba" could be, or if Caloba did exist once?
OR
2. Are you aware of any instances when the Italian consulate has been able to waive the need for a birth certificate/record from the ancestor's comune in lieu of our other records indicating his origins in Italy and showing he did not naturalize until after our grandma's birth?

Thank you in advance! I feel like I've hit a dead end and am not sure what to do next.

Lexi
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Ancestor's birthplace is a mystery

Post by suanj »

Hi,

Your ancestor arrival:
First Name : Vito
Last Name : Pulera
Nationality : Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence : S. Lilo Tucco
Date of Arrival : April 4th, 1899
Age at Arrival : 16y
Gender : Male
Marital Status : Single
Ship of Travel : Augusta Victoria
Port of Departure : Hamburg
Manifest Line Number : 0007

https://libertyellisfoundation.org/show ... cGciOw==/1
Best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Ancestor's birthplace is a mystery

Post by suanj »

The right surname spelling is POLERA’ with accent.. your ancestor Vito polerà was born in San Vito sullo jonio, Catanzaro province, Calabria region, IT.
Vito Polerà was born on 3 Nov 1883 #75, son of Antonio Polerà 30 old, farmhand and of Rosa Ciracò
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043789
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Ancestor's birthplace is a mystery

Post by suanj »

The idea that Vito was born in North Italy is wrong; he was born in Calabria region ( for that he stated Caloba, meaning CALABRIA)
Hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lexi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 24 Aug 2018, 20:23

Re: Ancestor's birthplace is a mystery

Post by lexi »

WOW!!! This is huge! You have shed an incredible amount of light on the story of my ancestors...Thank you suanj...My family and I are beyond grateful to you!!!!
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Ancestor's birthplace is a mystery

Post by suanj »

Happy to help!
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Ancestor's birthplace is a mystery

Post by adelfio »

Nice work Suanj!! Heres some more to add.
Marriage record #15 of Antonio Polera and Rosa Ciracò 1874 Nov 25

PG LINK
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043789


Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
lexi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 24 Aug 2018, 20:23

Re: Ancestor's birthplace is a mystery

Post by lexi »

Amazing! Marty, this is fantastic... thank you so much for helping us understand our story.
adelfio wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 15:50 Nice work Suanj!! Heres some more to add.
Marriage record #15 of Antonio Polera and Rosa Ciracò 1874 Nov 25

PG LINK
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043789


Marty
jennabet
Master
Master
Posts: 1396
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 20:28
Location: Ancestral Homeland - Abruzzo Italy

Re: Ancestor's birthplace is a mystery

Post by jennabet »

suanj is the best at what she does. I have seen her solve many mysteries in this forum. Who but an Italian born and raised and still living in Italy could be so effective at gathering accurate information? Grazie tanto, suanj.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Ancestor's birthplace is a mystery

Post by suanj »

You are very kind Jennabet, I love shedding light on so many mysteries, it is a form of truth, because knowing own precise origins also allows to find Italian relatives and re-weave those threads that were broken many years ago with emigration. Those who have emigrated have suffered the separation, but above all those who have remained here. Thanks to you and thanks to Edmondo that offers us this fantastic opportunity to make a group in the name of the common Italian origins. Thanks!
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply