Dual Citizenship Help

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jowest31@sky.com
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 10 Sep 2018, 21:46

Re: Dual Citizenship Help

Post by jowest31@sky.com »

Hi

Thanks, so I will need to hire a solicitor/lawyer to get me through the process?
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Dual Citizenship Help

Post by mler »

Yes. Look through the 1948 thread on this and on other citizenship forums. There are several lawyers who specialize in 1948 cases and they will guide you through the process. You may want to check several as the fees vary.

Understand that the consulates rigidly enforce the law that prohibited Italian women from transmitting citizenship to their children before 1948. The courts, however, have uniformly disagreed and in case after case, have ruled against this practice.

There has been some discussion on another citizenship forum about the possibility that 1948 cases may be sent back to the consulates. Ironically, most of the posters worried about this possibility because, despite the additional cost, the court process is faster and easier.

If this does come to pass, the consulates will be busy with many more cases, and the process will take longer, but for now at least you will need to go through the courts.

For what it’s worth, I suspect things will not change any time soon. It would mean a major loss of business for several attorneys.
jowest31@sky.com
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 10 Sep 2018, 21:46

Re: Dual Citizenship Help

Post by jowest31@sky.com »

Great,thank you very much :)
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

wrRe: Dual Citizenship Help

Post by mler »

Of course, changes in the citizenship law are not influenced by the burgeoning business involving 1948 cases. However, clearly a change in the law would result in a loss of business for lawyers who specialize in such cases. It would also result in an increased burden at the consulate level.

To simplify: the law is not necessarily affected by monetary considerations for lawyers or consulate workload, but the monetary fortunes of some lawyers and consulate workload would certainly be affected by changes in the law. In case you’re still not getting it, just because a change in the law would create a “cause and effect” situation, it does not necessarily follow that a possible law change is in any way influenced by that specific effect. There are many other factors that are considered in establishing law.

Jennebet, I know you like to disagree with everything I write, but you really are stretching things here. I’m sorry. Maybe you’re just upset because your pronouncements of ineligibility were so egregiously wrong earlier in this thread.

And I will remind you that when I corrected your error, I never even mentioned your inaccurate comments. I simply stated the reasons the OP was indeed eligible. Nor did I use your inaccuracies to characterize you as “arrogant” and “ignorant.” Understand that it is possible to disagree with someone without being rude. Try it sometime.
jennabet
Master
Master
Posts: 1396
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 20:28
Location: Ancestral Homeland - Abruzzo Italy

Re: Dual Citizenship Help

Post by jennabet »

Interesting. Americans who live in New York, Japan and Singapore know more about what goes on in Italy than do long term Italian residents/citizens. They're always "right" about our Italian elections too, LOL. Again it's called arrogance and ignorance.
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Dual Citizenship Help

Post by mler »

NY, Japan, Singapore—I was right. You do still resent your banning from the Tapatalk forum. (BTW, it should be NJ). And for those who are a bit confused, those are the locations in which the Tapatalk moderators reside.

Understand, jennebet, that one doesn’t need to live in Italy to be well informed about what’s happening there. It’s called reading—newspapers, Internet, citizenship law. Living in Italy only informs you about what’s happening in your own comune; there are many Italy comuni in the north and south and not all of them are exactly like yours. In the same way, your (and all our) experiences with citizenship issues need to be supplemented with a study of evolving citizenship law.

You inaccurately asserted that the original poster’s gm was not an Italian citizen. You were wrong. Does that make you ignorant or simply misinformed (despite the fact that you live in Italy)?

You see how it works, jennebet? One can point out inaccuracies without name calling.

One more clarification: I am Italian as well as an American as are the other two moderators.
jowest31@sky.com
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 10 Sep 2018, 21:46

Re: Dual Citizenship Help

Post by jowest31@sky.com »

I must say your comments to me Jennebet following my initial post were quite abrupt and quite hurtful "You are not Italian and are not qualified for Italian citizenship"
My Grandmother was born an italian citizen, so were all my family on my grandmas side and i'm still in contact with my family and visit when I can, I also own my own holiday home in Venice and stay 6 weeks of the year and pay my taxes on my property, thus being the reason why I was interested in dual citizenship as one day I wish to live in italy. Your comment was quite upsetting especially in the memory of my grandmother but your comments were totally incorrect and I am so glad that mler came along and gave me the correct info.
jennabet
Master
Master
Posts: 1396
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 20:28
Location: Ancestral Homeland - Abruzzo Italy

Re: Dual Citizenship Help

Post by jennabet »

Good luck in your quest. In venues such as this you are certainly free to choose whichever information you feel suits your particular situation the best.
Post Reply